1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for private tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Didacticmonkey, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Didacticmonkey

Didacticmonkey New commenter

Hello,

Long story short; I graduated 15 months ago (2:1 English Language and literature) and, wanting to become a teacher, enrolled on a primary PGCE course. Unfortunately I dropped out relatively early on, deciding that working as a classroom teacher wasn't for me. Fast forward a year and I now work in NHS procurement, but, because I genuinely love teaching, I have decided to do some part-time tutoring on the side.

I intend to concentrate on the KS2 curriculum, focusing on spelling, punctuation and grammar, writing, reading and phonic.

I have an enhanced DBS certificate, have joined Tutor Hunt and I am looking into joining Voice so that I can get liability cover.

Although I am open to any general advice that will help me realise my dream of becoming a private tutor, I do have a couple of specific questions that I hope you can help me with:

• Firstly, where can I find an up to date copy of the KS2 English primary curriculum so that I can concentrate on what I need to focus on?
    • Secondly, can anyone recommend any books/websites etc that will point me in the right direction of teaching techniques/methods for teaching KS2 English, especially focusing upon the teaching of spelling, punctuation and grammar, writing, reading and phonics?

Thank you.

sssal likes this.
  2. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

I don't mean to be rude, but personally I wouldn't hire you if there were a qualified teacher available.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Sorry but neither would I

5. First of all I would advise you to be good in time-management. It was a real problem when I started tutoring. It was difficult for me to plan and to remember all the lessons and right time of each one. I tried to keep everything in my phone but when it broke down I lost all the information. So now I prefer paper notebooks and diaries. I adore these ones: https://onplanners.com/daily-planner-templates-printable They fit me best. That is not about methodology of teaching or theory of a subject but it is a good personal advice.
    Good luck!

olgapreston and markbamforth like this.
  6. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I'm sorry but if you don't know KS2 curriculum upside down and inside out and you have no experience of teaching it you should not be doing private tuition.

7. decj

decj New commenter

Hear, hear.

8. alina98741001

alina98741001 New commenter

Hi,

I think you can try to use the online platform like Takelessons, Apprentus or 1on1, to search any kind of tutors or teachers you want:) Hope its helpful for you!

markbamforth likes this.
  9. markbamforth

markbamforth New commenter

Hi there, please ignore all those negative comments, they sound rather bitter. I thought this was a forum for people to co-operate with each other and build up each other's confidence..! You have a good degree, and if you don't want to be a school teacher (and neither did I), then I believe you should pursue tutoring. I have a German degree but no PGCE and I tutor regularly. Please get in touch if you'd like to swap experiences. Best of luck, Mark

olgapreston and sssal like this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Why would you think that? It is a forum for professional tutors, not a cooperative nor a support group.

11. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

While it's not essential to have QTS to be a private tutor, it certainly makes you much more credible and it helps parents to part with their hard-earned money.

I do not know where you are based, but demand for primary English tends to be patchy - I haven't done any since 2017. The market for secondary (usually GCSE) English is much more buoyant.

If you just "want to work with kids", then try youth work, or give teaching another go. Tutoring only primary kids is not really workable outside of London or some major cities.

12. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

Hello, I made one of those 'negative' comments - it's not bitter - I have nothing to be bitter about! I meant simply that when people pay a premium for private tutors, they expects someone with good subject knowledge and experience not just of what to teach, but when and how to teach it. Someone who actually has to ask where to find the curriculum doesn't quite fit the bill in my opinion. I think when someone asks for advice, they are asking for honest answers, else what's the point in posting?

13. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Well said

alsoamum likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd be very surprised if any tutoring agency would hire you.

You don't know what the KS2 curriculum is and you don't even know where to find it ?

And you want to be a tutor ?

Seriously ?

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've got several degrees in my subject and 20 years teaching experience

....and I still do my planning and research for tutoring.

You're taking the p***

16. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I think you will find that there are a great many unqualified people tutoring at the moment and this is why many parents expect such low rates. I am listed on tutor pages and when I scan the opposition so to speak I am surprised to see the qualifications of those offering to teach my subjects. Still they get what they pay for......

Piranha likes this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I share the concerns of others. For a start, I am not convinced that somebody who preferred to ask on a forum rather than use a search engine to find something as readily available as the National Curriculum is really the ideal person to be a tutor. Secondly, learning something from a book is no substitute for proper training. Perhaps long experience would get you to being a good tutor, but I suspect that the early customers will not get great value, even if you undercut the professionals.

langteacher and Vince_Ulam like this.