1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for private tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Didacticmonkey, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Hello,

Long story short; I graduated 15 months ago (2:1 English Language and literature) and, wanting to become a teacher, enrolled on a primary PGCE course. Unfortunately I dropped out relatively early on, deciding that working as a classroom teacher wasn't for me. Fast forward a year and I now work in NHS procurement, but, because I genuinely love teaching, I have decided to do some part-time tutoring on the side.

I intend to concentrate on the KS2 curriculum, focusing on spelling, punctuation and grammar, writing, reading and phonic.

I have an enhanced DBS certificate, have joined Tutor Hunt and I am looking into joining Voice so that I can get liability cover.

Although I am open to any general advice that will help me realise my dream of becoming a private tutor, I do have a couple of specific questions that I hope you can help me with:

• Firstly, where can I find an up to date copy of the KS2 English primary curriculum so that I can concentrate on what I need to focus on?
    • Secondly, can anyone recommend any books/websites etc that will point me in the right direction of teaching techniques/methods for teaching KS2 English, especially focusing upon the teaching of spelling, punctuation and grammar, writing, reading and phonics?

Thank you.

2. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter