1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for PGCE interview.

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Blakey82, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hi all,
    I'd be really grateful for some advice. I have an interview next week for PGCE secondary Religious Education. I feel like I've prepared as well as I can but I do have a few concerns. My degree was in History and my last dose of RE wasnt since A level. Having said that there is tonnes I enjoy about the subject.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about where I can find current issues within RE and recent issues regarding teaching in general. I have searched high and low but not really got a concise picture of what the main current teaching issues are, so I would be grateful of some help on that score. Any views about the RE curriculum and its shortcomings would also be appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Sam.

2. Hi all,
    I'd be really grateful for some advice. I have an interview next week for PGCE secondary Religious Education. I feel like I've prepared as well as I can but I do have a few concerns. My degree was in History and my last dose of RE wasnt since A level. Having said that there is tonnes I enjoy about the subject.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about where I can find current issues within RE and recent issues regarding teaching in general. I have searched high and low but not really got a concise picture of what the main current teaching issues are, so I would be grateful of some help on that score. Any views about the RE curriculum and its shortcomings would also be appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Sam.

3. Good luck Sam
    I would make a list of the reasons why you want to teach and practice you best enthusiastic voice/face in the mirror. They want people who are enthusiastic. Why do you want to teach RE? Remember that the new focus is not on religious information (learning about religions) but now focuses on the moral and spiritual elements (what pupils learn from religions). Think about the fact that good RE would help develop pupils into more caring ,,,,,,

Do a bit of research about your Local Agreed Syllabus (this trumps the new curriculum). I would not worry too much about educational theory - this is the point of your PGCE. Make sure you know what Afl (Assessment for learning is), you might want to look up the TEEP learning cycle and also the use of WEB2.0 in education

Hope this helps
    Sean

4. Read"Pedagogies of RE" by Michael Grimmit-the standard RE PGCE student text book.
    For AfL read "Inside the Black Box" by Professor Paul Black

5. Many thanks for the replies to this thread.
    I also have an interview next week for a PGCE in RE so it's been a great help. I'm spending a day in a school on monday to ready myself for the interview discussion which apparently will be based around my day in school.
    Though I'm still in a panic about having to do a short writting exercise which will access my reading and response to a piece of English and comment on a piece of RE work. Can anyone tell me what to expect please regarding this please. [​IMG]

6. Hi ThelmaN,
    The writing task will be something to check that you can work with the English language, eg. comprehending written English and knowing where to put capital letters, commas and other basic grammatical things. It will also be a test of your spelling; I doubt they'll get too grumpy if there's a couple of errors, but if it's littered with them, then that might be a way of them deciding who to and who not to take. It really isn't worth you worrying about this - is a piece of cake.

As for commenting on a piece of RE work, I never had to do that, so I can't really comment - I'm sure someone else might be able to shed some light.

Remember that they're interviewing you because something about your application made them like you - you're half way there!! Relax, be yourself and it'll go soooo fast.

Let us know how it goes, guys!
    Clareiclesx

7. Hi Clareicles,
    Many thanks for your reply.
    The written tasks were fairly straight forward. Task one was reading a piece of academic work about young people and their feelings towards Religious education and commenting on it by saying how learning and teaching RE we could change their attitudes. The second task was pretty similar in that we had to read a piece of work by a year seven pupil and comment on his knowledge and say how we would improve his knowledge and what we thought about his work.

Jury is still out on what the Uni thought, though my interview and presentation seemed to go down well.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    ThelmaN

8. Hi there-I've just came across your post and I'm so glad I did! I have an interview in Aprill for RE PGCE at Edgehill and to be honest I'm starting to panic about it as it has been a few years since my degree and my subject knowledge is not what it used to be!!
    Just wondering what sort of things they asked and I see you mentioned a presentation-did you know what topic it was on before you went or were you told on the day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks
    Michelle

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

edge hill is a fab place to do your PGCE
    In the interview they will want to know why you want to teach re, what are you motivations?

the presentation was given to us on the day.. sort of a group exercise on planning and talking about how you would use XYZ or topic ABC in the class room.

10. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I don't know what your looking for but I just spent an hour writing about ideas for year 7 for the other question on PGCE interviews - which outlines what I think RE is about - or should include. At least it should give you a few ideas to think about.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

11. Thanks all for you help! Interview went ok I just want to find out now, the waiting is terrible.

12. Hey guys!

I've got an RE interview at Edgehill next week, I've practised lots of questions and things, but one of the tasks is troubling me a little -

"Candidates will be asked to complete a written task, based on an article from RE TODAY, a teachers journal. You would be advised to give some thought to how popular culture, music and media can be utilized in the RE classroom"

Does anyone know what this means? Any other tips/advice on he interview would be fab, I will be eternally grateful!!!

Thanks
    Mez

13. I have sent you a message with some info which you will hopefully find useful. Good luck :)

14. Hi! I have also got my interview next month for the pgce in religious education and i was wondering weather it would be possible if you had any information for me, it would be much appreciated :)