1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for Non IB-PYP trained teacher

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Tracy0407, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Dear Theo

I am a qualified teacher in South Africa looking for a job in Singapore. It seems they only want IB-PYP trained teachers which is affecting my chance of getting a position there as we do not have IB schools or training here. I only have training in International Primary Curriculum.

I have searched the internet for an online course but I am struggling to find one.

Please could you help me out with any advise you may have with online IB courses?

Is it worth it for me to do?

Will my lack of IB training and experience affect all Singapore teaching opportunities?

Really appreciate your advice!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Tracy, and welcome to our forum.

Now I am afraid that I can't give you any advice here, as I have no knowledge or experience of the Singapore education scene, neither state-controlled nor private. Nor of IB training.

Sorry!

I think that your best bet is to go to the Teaching Overseas forum and ask people on there who will have the expertise in this area.

https://community.tes.co.uk/tes_teaching_overseas/f/64.aspx

So pop over there and ask your question again!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. perrolobo

perrolobo New commenter

Hi Tracy

The introductory level IB workshop is called "Making the PYP happen in the classroom" and you can find a link to the online course here:

www.ibo.org/.../279695

I think it costs about US$ 600. It involves about six weeks study with about 7 hours study each week.

I imagine it would improve your chances of getting into a PYP school greatly but an experienced PYP teacher would be their first choice.

Sorry I don't know anything about Singapore.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for that, Perrolobo, very useful!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.