1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for newly appointed CL Maths?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Mr_R, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I've recently taken up a post as Curriculum Leader for maths in an edge of town comprehensive school and we need to relook at what we deliver and how it is delivered ion KS3 and 4.
    Could anybody recommend an effectivepublished route through KS3, please?
    I'm looking at Edexcel linear maths for KS4. What are people's thoughts on linear vs modular? How supportive are Edexcel vs AQA/OCR?
    Thanks for your time.
    Kevin

2. Hi all
    I've recently taken up a post as Curriculum Leader for maths in an edge of town comprehensive school and we need to relook at what we deliver and how it is delivered ion KS3 and 4.
    Could anybody recommend an effectivepublished route through KS3, please?
    I'm looking at Edexcel linear maths for KS4. What are people's thoughts on linear vs modular? How supportive are Edexcel vs AQA/OCR?
    Thanks for your time.
    Kevin

3. If I was starting afresh I'm beginning to think I'd do a five year course rather than a KS3 one and a KS4 one. We're with Edexcel, have had no problems and I really like the ResultsPlus service and Edexcel Emporium. The thing with linear vs modular is that Gove has made noises about phasing out modular exams.

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

OK, you're new to your post. Obviously what you have in place in KS3 isn't up to scratch, but how do you know any published scheme is going to do any better? Moreover, buying into someone else's scheme will depend on you also, to a certain extent, buying in to their resources, and that could be costly.
    Here's what I would do (and it's what I did do when I became HoD):
    Start a new Scheme of work, either from scratch or by addressing the shortcomings of your current scheme. You must have some gained time at the moment. Use it, and use your dept to help you. Get your school to back you.
    I did mine from scratch; I asked for a day's INSET for the whole department. They came round my house (not necessary, but good for team building/morale), we started with the old medium term plans from the previous NC, threw them up in the air and reassembled them in an order which made sense to us. Have to confess, I got this idea from MathsHod. It works.
    We then set about spending several years running these schemes, modifying them, adding substance (teaching ideas, assessment processes, etc.) to them, putting in additional units, adapting them to various passing fads, such as APP, etc. Over the years, we've got towards something which I really like, but, as far as I'm concerned, it will never be finished. I think any good scheme of work will always adapt and evolve. I would never consider using anyone else's scheme of work, no matter how brilliant it purports to be, simply because I'd want to see how it was constructed and, to do this, I'd have to take it apart anyway.
    If you want to put your stamp on a department, don't look for quick fixes, go for a long term solution.
    Regarding Edexcel, yes, no issues here. Linear/modular - really doesn't matter - do what your department and you decide, through discussion, is best.
    Enjoy. Being a subject leader is, by far, the best job I've ever done - and I've been through pastoral and senior management posts. Setting up your own department from scratch so it does what you believe in is one of the great parts of the job.

5. Some good info above.
    I would have the following questions:
    (i) What is your current A*-C at GCSE in maths?
    (ii) Are the SLT driven by empowering/educating kids or by data?
    (iii) How do do pupils view maths on the whole in your school?

6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Googol's post has great advice in it, look at Kangaroo Maths for some inspiration.
    There are some good resources on NCETM about developing a dept. generally.
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/search?q=why+do+we+teach+maths&area=5
    I would advise you to carefully evaluate what is already in place before you go any further, I would be wary of changing things drastically when you are very new in post. It depends on how bad things are really and howl long you've been in post.
    Best advice I was given was when you first arrive in new post, observe what's going on in your dept. first, write a list of things you want to change and sit on it for a term before you act.