1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for my first FE interview please?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by RichardsKJ, Jul 7, 2018.

1. RichardsKJ

RichardsKJ New commenter

Hi all

I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this or if the wording of the brief is misleading but I cannot decipher if I am being asked to deliver a 10min microteach or a 10min presentation on how I would deliver a full session? I have also been told I will have a whiteboard and a PC and asked to provide a lesson plan and any resources.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can read the brief below and provide their opinion on what I am expected to deliver?

'As part of the interview process you will be asked to deliver a presentation to the interview panel on the following:

"10 minute presentation on how they would deliver the following outcome to a group of L3 students on the football education programme”

Unit 5: Sports Coaching

Learning outcome 2 - Know the techniques used by coaches to improve the performance of athletes

You are encouraged to think of engaging and innovative ways to deliver this learning objective and get the best out of the learners.'

Thanks!

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

'As part of the interview process you will be asked to deliver a presentation to the interview panel on the following:

"10 minute presentation on how they would deliver the following outcome to a group of L3 students on the football education programme."

I'd say they're expecting a presentation.

You know the course, the level it's being delivered at, the specific unit, and the specific learning outcome, on which to base your presentation.

They want you to show them that you've thought about the best way to deliver the topic, in a way that will interest and engage the students, as opposed to simply shovelling the facts at them.

If it were me, I'd be using the whiteboard or PC sparingly, although they are the obvious way of actually listing the techniques (maybe backed up by handouts), and the situations in which they might be used.

But given these are sports-oriented students, you may get more from them, with some form of interactive physical activity linked to the Learning Outcome. Maybe actually get them working in pairs actually using some of the techniques referred to in the Learning Outcome, where one acts as coach, based on mini-scenarios ?

Obviously you're limited by time available, but what I'm suggesting is maybe try and get them "thinking and doing", rather than simply "sitting and thinking" ?

3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

It's a presentation to the panel on how you would teach the students. You're not delivering a lesson.

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Not my subject but I would be delivering a powerpoint. I would prepare a mini lesson plan about methods coaches use...la la. Then I would turn the lesson plan into a powerpoint together with diagrams, images and possibly even a short video clip. I would be including a starter activity, learning outcomes, lesson content, assessment for learning (role play?), and a plenary. They will be looking for a fun interactive lesson which would engage all students and fulfill the learning objectives. Don't forget differentiation, diversity, possibly British Values and all the other gumph which you would include on a lesson plan.
    You will not be delivering a lesson but you will be showing that you know how to deliver an effective lesson.

5. Check they understand the post you are applying for. Unless it is for Sport then they have the wrong request, go back and ask to be interviewed by staff from the department that you are applying for and will be reporting to ....

I made this mistake of being interviewed by people who had not a clue about my Subject Matter Expertise (SME) ... They also did not have a clue about the necessary specific tasks of a lecturer .... big mistake !