1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for Moving from Secondary to Primary Teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nom_DeGuerre, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hello!

I've just finished training as a secondary teacher, but didn't know where I would be living until very recently (long story!) so don't have a job for September yet. Anyhow, there don't seem to be any secondary posts available, but there are lots of primary ones going. I'd be very happy to work in a primary (and in fact already did so as a TA) but I'm aware that it'd be quite a steep learning curve.

Any advice on:
    1. short-term interview bluffing
    2. long-term building of genuine knowledge and capability

for the transition from secondary to primary teaching would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Hello.
    I've made the move, having taught in Secondary for one year back in the mid '90s, then spent about 15 years doing something else before deciding to go into primary. I'd volunteered at my children's school for a while on days off etc and then did a few weeks of supply as a way of getting some actual primary teaching experience. I got a job in a lovely school (not a school where I'd been on supply) and am really happy I made the change.
    Yes, it's a huge learning curve but it's manageable. I've learnt something new every day (often lots of new things every day!!). If you've already got primary exerience then you will already have a good idea of what's required. As for the interview, I was honest when they asked me about things I'd no experience of (APP!!) but used examples of transferable skills to show I would be able to pick up new concepts quickly.
    Assuming you are totally sure about making the switch, then I'm sure you will find the right place for you. I know primary job availability varies around the country, but if you've got the skills the school is looking for, then they will be seen at your interview and your interview lesson. Good luck!