1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for art teaching interviews please.

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by cb21, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hi- I've not had an art interview for 2 years as I have had a career break.
    I have now got a few interviews coming up soon and would really like it if anyone can share any information about being 'in the art teaching loop.'
    If any HOD can share what they are looking for from a candidate that would be great or anyone who is working as an art teacher would love to hear about any recent interview(s) advice.

2. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

An awful lot has happened (and is happening) so to keep up to date visit the NSEAD website and join or rejoin. Go to the DFE site and read last year's White Paper on education. On the OFSTED site download the 2009 report Drawing Together Art Craft and Design. I know instances this year of heads of Art not even being part of the selection process for interviews, SLT doing it themselves. You need to know the whole picture these days as well as be up to date with your subject. Depending on where you live, there may be an art teacher network in your area (again NSEAD could help you here) and that's where you need to go to make valuable contacts.

3. Many Many Thanks for taking the time to reply-that all seems a great starting point for me. :)

4. Great advice given so far - but I find that matching underwear, lipgloss and fabulous shoes always help with self esteem - go into the head office and own the room!
    On a more serious note the above works but you need to be ready for those killer questions: What you would do with certain groups (Eg year 9 lads who don't want to take art - how would you engage them?) or what inspires you and how would you use that to motivate your learners?
    use examples from your portfolio whenever you can or you can sit through an entire interview without opening your portfolio. Have examples of G&T, extra curricular, SEN and community projects.... all impress the Head!
    Good luck!

5. Interesting to [​IMG] see that IE did so well