1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for an NQT reception teacher!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hanami, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Reception is fantastic!
    Make sure you start with the basics- eg. lining up properly, carpet rules, classroom rules. Reception children need a lot of boundaries and they repond well to them- be firm, fair and consistent!!

Sing everything!! Tidy up time, empty hands in the air- the children love to join in and pick up the rules really quickly this way.

In my classroom we have 3 different main tables where I set up a different PSRN, CLL, CD activity every day and we have a writing table, small maths table and discovery table (for KUW exploring activities). Make sure you have a role play and reading corner.
    Try and encourage your children be as independent as possible- otherwise they may bother you for the whole year if they know you will do things for them.
    Never underestimate how slow the little ones are! Getting changed for PE ETC. In september I would give my children a good 20-25 mnutes to change, but they now do it in under 10 minutes.

2. I am doing my NQT year in a mixed nursery/reception class.
    Thank you for all the great advice here and I'll probably email a couple of you for advice later.