1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice for an NQT on how to get a job to teach in America

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by TThurston, Nov 2, 2015.

1. TThurston

TThurston New commenter

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice, I've done a range of researching. I'm currently doing my teachers training and my NQT year will be September 16. I have always had the ambition to teach, it's been my dream profession ! However, I really want to continue my passion for teaching in the USA with the hope to experience new cultures and differences in the education system once I've completed my NQT year. I feel determined to establish my development as a teacher in the U.S but any advice on possible routes to take?

I'm aware you need at least 2-3 years experience plus key characteristics as Visa's are competitive. I recently came back from Nevada and friends there have said how teachers are facing a huge shortage in certain states so it's good to target schools directly to ask for sponsorships? I just don't know where to start as I don't want to mess up my chance to teach there also. I have looked into potential exchange programmes too.

I have a high 2.1 degree in Philosophy, religion and ethics and currently teach RS and Philosophy at secondary level and a level.

If anyone could share their experiences of a similar situation or has any advice for me on how to teach in the USA I would be so grateful.
    Thank you

2. TThurston

TThurston New commenter

**my qualifications will be Qualified Teachers Status and PGCE also as London based at the moment.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What would you hope to teach in the US? They don't teach RS in the state system - do they?

4. TThurston

TThurston New commenter

This too is something I've considered- I know some schools in the U.S. Teach philosophy and ethics which I would enjoy teaching but I feel quite comfortable converting to sociology, American history, possibly English, politics/law. However, I don't know if teachers for such subjects are in demand in a majority of the states for these.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Being from the States and having been educated there before moving to the UK for postgraduate studies, I would say it would be tricky to convince a state school (aka as public school) to take on a teacher to teach American history without the appropriate subject knowledge and qualification; secondly, philosophy and ethnics may be taught in private schools but only for one or two classes, not as a full-time subject. Thirdly, it would be difficult to get an individual school to sponsor you (speaking of private schools) or a school district (state schools) as a) you lack accreditation in the US system (varies state by state), b) no actual knowledge of how the US system works (we have no equivalent to GCSE or A-level, and the infamous SATs which dominate the upper secondary years are math and english-related), and c) given that you are relatively new to teaching in the UK, it would be difficult for you to prove extensive experience that would persuade a school to take a risk when for the better schools, they could hire someone without visa issues.

Is it impossible? No. Is it relatively straight-forward. No. I would look through the various threads here wherein other posters have queried the same as this is a very popular dream.

6. Nead2604

Nead2604 New commenter

I am an American and taught in the USA. You will have to pass Praxis exams and state exam and you will have to have an excellent knowledge of American History before you can teach anything. The USA is very different teaching and marking. Teachers generally teach one year group. I was trained as a teacher in the USA and they generally want you to have extensive psychology courses under your belt in educational psychology, child psychology, special education. It would be helpful if you could also have a good understanding of Spanish, especially in the Western States. It is very difficult to teach in the USA because of the difficulties of getting a working visa as these are expensive and a state school would not be interested in participating in the complicated process. They have to prove they cannot find an American to teach the subject first before they can 'import' a teacher, so you are up against difficult odds.

jomaimai likes this.