1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a VERY boy heavy class!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wilkinson9351, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm sending off my question into the fountain of knowledge that is you amazing lot. I was wondering if you have any tips for coping with a year 1 class that has so many boys it's just untrue.
    All of my topics are geared towards boys and I have a lot of boy type continuous provision but any tips at all would be great!
    Thanks
    Wilko

2. Hi guys,
    I'm sending off my question into the fountain of knowledge that is you amazing lot. I was wondering if you have any tips for coping with a year 1 class that has so many boys it's just untrue.
    All of my topics are geared towards boys and I have a lot of boy type continuous provision but any tips at all would be great!
    Thanks
    Wilko

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What are these topics?
    Not all boys are the same. Are you sure they will all be enthused?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm so jealous I love boy heavy classes so much less trouble than girls

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

What is there for the girls?

6. Me too. My first class had 25 boys and 5 girls - so much fun and so lively. Of course, that's somewhat stereo typical but I have found it to be true. In general make it competitive, interactive, firm (ie, they must know the boundaries), clear (boys can need things clearly spelt out) and rewarding.

I'm sure you are also catering for the few girls that you have too (ref earlier posts). Enjoy!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

However many girls you have, they need to be catered for as well. I do worry that 'all' your topics are geared to boys. And, like another poster said, boys are not all the same.

So my advice is, start catering for the girls as well.

8. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I've only ever had a very boy-heavy class once (7 girls and 23 boys) and I hated every minute of it! However, when I had a girl heavy class (24 girls and 6 boys), I loved it! Both were Y2 classes. I have no tips,I just wanted to offer my condolences.

9. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I teach in a special school so its slightly different but I had all boys in my class last year and this year will have 1 girl to 8 boys. I love it! My advice is to make things as active as you can but remember that they will all be individuals. Godd luck!

10. No advice only empathy - my Y4 class 22 boys and 8 girls. I also taught them in Rec and Y2! So we all know each other well. I know that as long as life revolves around football the boys will be happy.
    Currently reading David Walliams to see if his books will appeal to the boys, and the girls as I'm a girl!

11. Would echo the comments about the girls - don't forget them! You could ask the class what they would like to learn about and create a topic around that.

12. Eminently sensible.

13. I had a very boy heavy class as a student teacher in a very small classroom. As it was the summer term I found it worked well to take them outside for the main input with a more active feel to the session. This then helped them to settle when we went back inside as they had had a change of scenery. So maybe try and make the most of any good weather in the run up to Winter.
    It is obviously important not to forget the girls...but I found that they had their own dynamic within the class and made sure you didn't overlook them!

14. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

I just posted something similar. I have a boy heavy class (20) and was wonderng what I can do to keep them focused and interested. Taking them outside is a good idea; I will definitely use this in maths as it lends it self well.
    Any other ideas?