1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a new tutor?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by sophie_white95, Jul 5, 2018.

1. sophie_white95

sophie_white95 New commenter

Hi,
    Come July I'll be an NQT, unfortunately I have not secured a job for September. However, to help boost my experience and to earn a little bit of money before starting supply in September I am considering starting to tutor in my local area.
    But I have a few questions
    1. Is there anything I should know before starting? The 'must knows'?
    2. What information do I need to collect from parents before the first session? is there a sheet I can get them to fill out?
    3. What does a good first session look like? Should I do a pre-assessment?
    4. Should I set homework?
    5. How do you track progress and how do you report this back to the parents?
    6. Am I right in thinking that subjects such as literacy and numeracy should be covered in 2 separate sessions at an hour each?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Sophie x

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Your subject, inside and out, first and last.

Everything else you are best discovering for yourself else if you wish to be told what to do then you might as well work for someone else. You cannot boost your school experience by working as a private tutor. Instead pick up some mindless money as a shelf-stacker or the like and spend your leisure time studying your subject and how best to teach it in school. Tutoring is not something you can dip into without knowing what you are about, nor should you given that hardworking parents are paying for expertise & experience.

Good luck during your NQT. This is where the hard work begins.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

To help you out I'll try and answer your questions

1 current level and target level. Ask for their most recent assessment and school report exam board tier etc
    2 contact details
    3 I do a score yourself self assessment
    4 if it is appropriate
    5 again self assessment Don't spend ages talking to parents. You have other lessons to teach. By all means feed back in the last five min or so
    6 I don't

Teach for understanding Not to tick the boxes for the school

Charge for cancellation from the start

Don't worry about losing a student there will be others, maybe not straight away but there will be

Good luck