1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a new part timer....first two days back aren't my days....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by snowflakesfalling, Jul 30, 2015.

1. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

I start part time (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) at my school in Sept. My school are having the first two days as training days. What do I do? Thursday and Friday aren't my new working days but I do feel obliged to at least be there on the Thursday but I don't want to do both really...unless I have to. Anyone know the protocol?

2. You have to turn up for the training days.

What day does term start?

Why do you feel you have to be there on Thursday?

If term starts on Monday, you go in Mon and Tues for the training days, then work as usual on Wednesday. Week over.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You have to do 3/5 of the training.

Generally people are a little bit flexible and do the first day back, choosing to skip INSET later in the year instead.

4. snowflakesfalling

Term starts on Thursday which is a training day - there's another training day on the Friday. Kids are in on the following Monday.

5. snowflakesfalling

Is it 5 inset days a year?

6. lilachardy

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've got a similar problem. I'm starting p/t doing Wed, Thur and Fri but Mon and Tues of first week are INSET. There's two more new staff days on the previous Thur and Fri which is fine but I've told them I'm not doing the nest two unless I'm paid.

In December we break up on a Tues but have INSET on Weds so I'll have to go in mid week for just one day.........might negotiate a swap.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

First of all take a look at your contract and see what it says about INSET

Depending on your contract you may find that you just have to do the INSETs that fall on the days you normally work - which may be 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or all 5 of the days!

Remember - you cannot be directed to attend INSET on days you do not work. If you do decide you want to go you should be paid for the extra day(s).

I'm in a similar situation to you - I'll end up doing an extra day the first week back because I don't want to miss the crucial stuff at the start of term. But I will be paid for it!

9. May2

May2 Established commenter

Is this a new school for you or are you changing from Full to part time? If it is completely new I would want to be there at least the first day to feel part of the team and not miss out on everything. Depending on what is happening on the Friday, I think if I was new I would want to make a good impression then as well. However it may depend whether you have child care issues to sort, but may be part of the day. If you are working 3 days then you should only do 3 days INSET and as long as the Head does not just expect you to do them all, if they want you to attend others they should pay you but on occasions you might feel you want to be there so you don't miss something. Generally INSETs are not that exciting though!

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

When this comes up on Workplace Dilemmas, people usually advise you not to go in on days you aren't paid for but you have to do a certain percentage of Inset, anyway, so it's up to you when you do it.

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I agree with May2-if it is a new school, I would go in for at least the very first day to meet people , get your timetable, find your way around etc etc. Otherwise, why don't you ask your head what is happening and whether you are needed.You could take the opportunity to discuss what is expected form you regarding inset days. I work part time-if the inset day is not one of days and is not relevant to my subject, then I am not asked to go in.

12. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I think in your case and has it is a new job, I would see those 2 days as a swap for the Monday and Tuesday you arent working.

Of course, this means you should be paid that week.

I dont think you should set a precident of working unpaid.

If you need to do 3 traing days, do the ones on your working days and if all 5 fall on your working days, do them all.

I have found a much better culture for part time workers, in FE - no expectations to do traing days on your days off and paid or time in lieu if you want to bo.

Now I work in HE, I have found that as a part time worker, there is no expectation to work on days off.

I am lucky that I can arrange appointments with students quite flexibly and just change my outlook diary.

This flexibility is great as I swap my days off if needed which is good for my freelance work.

As I line manage several part time lecturers, I make sure they feel under no obligation to come to cpd or meetings and if they do, I make a claim for tbeir time.This is something I feel very strongly about.

People have other personal life and work commitments.

It is great if staff have goodwill but schools taking advantage of this is historically dire.

This expectation for unpaid days can soon escalate.

As a part time worker, you are likely to have other commitments, often as a result of lower salary.

13. I've always thought it a bit of a cheat to call First Day Back INSET. OK you don't want the kids there but you do want to get paid. All new staff should be turning up to first day back. If it's not a pay day you have to consider how important it is to you to meet all the other newbies and oldies without the distraction of pesty little ants ... what do they call them... pupils.

Since 98% of any other INSET occurring during the rest of the year will be drivel, I'd personally turn up and take the time off later on.

14. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

There is no obligation to work on your days off, whether they are inset or not.

There is also no pro-rata requirement to do 3/5 of the Inset days. Yes, your directed time is 3/5, but it is not broken down to 3/5 of each element. You just work the days in your contract- so you could end up doing none of the inset days or all of them, depending on which days they fell.

If you feel it would be advantageous to be there, and you are able to go in, you could ask to be paid. Equally the school has no obligation to pay you.

All this assumes your school follows STPCD.

15. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

This is the NUT Guidance -

? For INSET days and other non-pupil days held on days when a part time teacher does not normally work, the teacher cannot be required to attend. The teacher may agree to attend but equally has the right to refuse to agree to attend. Where the teacher does agree to attend, the time should not be included in directed time and the teacher should be paid using the provision for payment for additional working time.

? In respect of INSET days for professional development purposes, the NUT advises that part time teachers should be permitted to attend all such days, including those which take place on days when they do not normally teach. Failure to allow part time employees access to the same training opportunities as full time employees may constitute unlawful discrimination.

? The NUT advises that 6.5 hours should be allocated for each INSET day in order that the total payment matches the normal daily rate of pay which would be received, for example, for one day?s supply teaching.

They do also emphasise the need to discuss the issue of expectations of INSET attendance with the HT.

16. i think the getoutofjailfree thing might be the "directed time" bit. There will be meetings you don't attend because of your part-timeness, so maybe if your manager is a f *cktard who wants the staff to be as unhappy and inconvenienced as they possibly could because it makes him/her feel more powerful.....

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

If you have commitments outside school for the first day, which you cannot get out of, then I would explain that to my line manager. However, my preference would be to go in. I know we all laugh at INSET, but you never really know when it might actually be useful! You will also miss out on all the gossip and of course the house points for turning up!

I would also base my decision upon my own school life as a pupil. I went to nine different schools as a child and I missed the first few days of each school I started at. I was never sure that I knew what was going on, and indeed, most of the time I didn't!

You could at least make your presence known and then creep off.

18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I've been mulling over your situation for the last hour and my opinion has hardened. You go in - pure and simple.

It is all very easy for us armchair pundits hiding behind our laptops to say that you should fight your corner and stand up for yours (and the rest of us's) rights, etc.etc. but the real world is not like that. If you are asking this question then I am assuming this is your first teaching job. Nothing works in real life without a bit of flexibility. Goodness only knows where academies and free schools (spit!) are taking us, but it is not in the direction of teacher appreciation and value.

After a long secondary career, I have seen how vicious Head Teachers can get with only slightly stroppy teachers. I spent my last 5 years in FE seeing what has happened there after a number of years of being independent of local authority. My HOD was literally hounded out in the most disgraceful way after getting on the wrong side of the Chief Executive. (You can tell what sort of management they are going to be by what they call themselves!!).

Apologies - Going slightly off the point now, so just to say --- Go in, -- you won't regret it. However, you may end up regretting it if you don't go in!

19. lilachardy

Just to help your answers, it's not SFF's first job, and it's in a school where she worked full time until now.

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My advice is still to go in.