1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a husband starting to ttc

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by BillyBobJoe, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

My wife and I have been married for nearly 7 years, and my wife has reached the point where she feels ready for children. We're in our mid-late 20s, I was wondering whether anyone might have some general advice, particularly anyone with experience of anti-depressants and pregnancy, or women of larger than average size and any particular pregnancy issues around that.

2. My advice would be to make sure you are both happy and enjoy the trying to conceive process (he he!) I am 19 weeks pregnant and looking back I think I got obsessed too quickly and took the fun out of the process! I was just panicking because at 35 I had read how difficult it was to get pregnant but after all that it only took us about 4-5 months. So much for statistics (don't they call it 'lies, damn lies and statistics' and quite a bit of my PhD involved stats analysis so talking from experience!)
    In my opinion, you can get 'bogged down' in statistics and risk factors but at the end of the day there are so many variables that can influence your chances. So, just go for it! If she is mobidly obese or obese it may help to try and lose weight by being as healthy as possible, but I don't think carrying a few extra pounds is terrible.
    Best to go to the docs and get advice about the anti-depressants. It would be good to talk to them about your general concerns then as well.
    Best of luck and I think it is lovely that you are posting on here.
    Miss I.