1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a GandT reader in Y6

Discussion in 'English' started by Lauren1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Dear All,
    Would anyone be able to provide a list of recommended reads or authors for a girl who is reading beyond y6? I have already used my past experience as a Y7 and 8 teacher to provide her with authors such as Robert Swindall and Malorie Blackman and Louis Sacher.
    Mum is requesting more as she is a voracious and able reader ideas for reading. She's read all the classics such as Treasure Island etc. I don't feel she's ready for the likes of Austen, Bronte etc. Yes, she could read the words, but there's the depth that would be missing that a couple more years would fill in for her. The difficulty comes in matching maturity of text with age - I don't feel it appropriate for her to be reading stuff like Twilight (which I love), which she's not emotionally ready for - not that I'm suggesting that Twilight is the sum of all reading. It's just that the shops are not exactly filled where we live with texts for young teens that aren't full of fangs!
    Any advice as to which direction to point her in would be great.
    Thank you.

2. She may have already read it, but Skellig is a challenging read requiring inferential reading skills. Anything by David Almond really: Kit's Wilderness in particular. Also, The Woman in Black - Susan Hill - is a challenging read and tests language and sentence structure; good preparation for pre-1914 literature as it is in the style of Dickens and texts from that era. Animal Farm for conceptual understanding of complex ideas presented in fairy story type style can be read on a number of levels; I enjoyed it as a young child and as an adolescent. and undergraduate. Greek myths and children's versions of Homer and Virgil's Aeneid would develop literary heritage in preparation for later study and are fun reads though not challenging in terms of language and vocabulary. Dickens A Christmas Carol and short stories by Edgar Allen Poe are also possibles within the gothic genre. Michale Morpurgo's Shadow and Run Boy Run are contemporary novels addressing social issues and are highly emotive, as is When The Whale Came. Have a look at the novels on the Carnegie Nominations list - some will be age appropriate, some will not. Ian Serraillier's The Silver Sword, Hans Peter's Friedrich would be good reads on historical and cultural accounts of the Holocaust which are child friendly, riveting reads and informative. Elyne Mitchell's The Silver Brumby and its sequels are great reads and have sophisticated language and sentence structures while being aimed at her age group. They are by an Australian writer, all about horses, yet are packed with imagery and power. My daughter really enjoyed being read them - she is 8 - and I found them challenging to read aloud but enjoyed them in my own childhood, so much so that I remembered them vividly for 35 years and had to buy them when I saw them. Enid Blyton's The Famous Five have been repackaged for a new generation and are challenging in terms of vocabulary and sentence structures but very much aimed at younger readers with a good dose of innocence. My Friend Flicka, May O'Hara and also Laura Inglis Wilder's the Little House on the Prairie range are also excellent for younger readers as is Pollyanna and Anne of Green Gables. Hope this gives you some ideas!

3. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

This is super, thank you. She's read a range of these, however, a good chunk she hasn't come across so thank you for both the suggestions and the reasonings behind them. Much appreciated.

4. Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series?
    Lots of twists & turns to engage & challenge a good reader but accessible on a range of levels.

5. "The Once and Future King", T H White - the retelling of the Arthur legend. The first part was the basis of Disney's "The Sword in the Stone".
    Anything by Rosemary Sutcliff.
    "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn", Mark Twain.

6. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

"The Prince and the Pauper" if you want even more Twain.

7. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Again, all of you, thank you very much. I will pass these additions on.

8. 'Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place', E.L.Konigsburg; 'Jip's Story', Katherine Patterson; 'Dicey's Song', Cynthia Voigt'; 'Make Lemonade' Virginia Euwer Wolff
    :)