1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a first year teacher

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by jeremythoward, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jeremythoward

jeremythoward New commenter

This is my first year full time as a primary teacher. I was wondering what would be the one piece of advice you would give to a teacher that has just started. What is the most crucial thing you learnt in all of your years as a teacher?

One big thing for me so far is learning how each of my individual students learn best.

2. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

A teacher is only as good as the teacher next door. Learn from the seniors in the game :)

3. Jessica_23

Jessica_23 New commenter

Work/life balance is vital! It is easy to spend so much of your time caught up in the demands of the job, at the expense of your home life. That balance is needed for positive mental health and to prevent burn out down the track. Play the long game and make the time for you.

4. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Listen to senior teachers (already said), don't get involved in gossip, it bites you, if there is anything you can offer regarding after school clubs it looks good (I sound like a hypocrite here but only do it if it's something you enjoy away from your subject perhaps), e.g. you teach History but have a love of Spanis and can offer a Spanish club for thirty minutes for staff and pupils alike once a week. Just be true to yourself, and do your job first, and anything else is a bonus for your employers.