1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice/ experience using your voice effectively

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by vh89, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm working with quite a chatty yr8 class and can have to tell them reasonably frequently that they need to stop chatting to themselves, especially when I need their attention. I'm working on my behaviour management strategies anyway, but have been told I could make more effective use of my voice. My only worry is that my voice doesn't seem that strong, and on my previous placement I found I got a sore throat quite easily.

Can anyone advise on any ways they have effectively used their voice/ found of looking after their voice (other than drinking lots of water, which I'm already trying to increase)? I know I can go quieter so that they have to be quiet to listen, but am looking for any other strategies people have found that also work for them, so that I can at least try them.

Thanks.

2. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

A strategy I've used is having three boxes on the white board. If I think they are getting too loud, I will tick one of the boxes. 3 ticks adn they are working in silence. That way, you sometimes don't need to say anything at all.
    Of course it depends on the sort of class you have, but it might be worth a try.

3. If you have to shout, shout from your stomach - it does save your voice. I find that if I shout from my throat I hurt it, but from the stomach it comes out much deeper and therefore louder. That said, it's not often I do shout.

I like the method rob has mentioned, and have used it myself. I've also used a whistle too - that's a good one.

4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

One of our Drama teachers does a little routine that the students have to copy. They have to all be doing it by the third time she's finished or there's trouble. It's something like:
    slap both legs
    clap hands
    click left hand
    click right hand
    Good thing is it's visual and auditory, but you're not using your voice at all!