1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice - DW Web Page Design

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by smudgie, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm about to start a web development module with a group of distruptive and lazy 18 year olds! They struggle to produce any kind of work and are used to being spoon fed. I have 5 weeks to get them to produce a some web pages in Dreamweaver. Most of them haven't used DW before and I haven't taught this module before so I'm very nervous about what we will achieve in this time.
    I will get them to use a template to design their site but would like some advice on the best way to introduce them to DW (group tutorial, step by step???). I could spend 5 weeks just showing them the basics never mind leaving them to get on and produce something for themselves, which is to produce at least 2 pages with images, text and links.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I'm about to start a web development module with a group of distruptive and lazy 18 year olds! They struggle to produce any kind of work and are used to being spoon fed. I have 5 weeks to get them to produce a some web pages in Dreamweaver. Most of them haven't used DW before and I haven't taught this module before so I'm very nervous about what we will achieve in this time.
    I will get them to use a template to design their site but would like some advice on the best way to introduce them to DW (group tutorial, step by step???). I could spend 5 weeks just showing them the basics never mind leaving them to get on and produce something for themselves, which is to produce at least 2 pages with images, text and links.
    Thanks

3. Have you thought about using Fireworks instead. It's very easy to create a couple of pages, add links and rollovers and export to HTML. I use it all the time with myself groups at all levels.

4. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

You step, by step them through a set of 'blank' linking pages, show them how to create and customise tables, then they make the site on a topic of their choice - job done.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I usually do as quick a demo as I can on screen then give the class some time to play around with it. Given that most of the basic formatting is almost the same as MS Word, the only tricky bit is tables, which can be done on a one-to one basis if necessary. The most common fault students make is moving files around without using the Site Manager function, thus cocking up the links between the page elements.

I don't know if you're allowed to choose the subject of the site, but I've always found designing a site to promote a new band's first single release is quite motivating, especially if the students themselves are allowed to be the band members for the publicity shots.

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

7. Thank you all for you help. I'm not panicking as much now!