1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice! Dental appointment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chloance, Jan 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. chloance

chloance New commenter

Hi all, looking for some advice.
    I’ve been having some necessary dental work recently and my final surgery (extraction) is next Friday. All of my other appointments have been after school hours and I’ve never taken a day off sick since working there (2 years). I asked if someone could cover me for the last 25 mins of the day so that I can get there in time and was denied.
    This tooth is causing me so much pain and if left will get worse. Is it unreasonable for them to deny me 25 minutes? I don’t know if I’m being unfair. Thanks

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It’s unusual. Most schools I’ve worked at have been quite accommodating & flexible on things like this. Could you swap with someone who has ppa time? If not you’ll have to try for another appointment.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I think, as it's surgery, it really should be accommodated. Have your work got a policy?

Usually, most policies state that routine appointments should be made outside school hours where possible but non-routine can be taken at heads discretion.

If it's possible to rearrange the appointment without too much trouble, do so.

Otherwise, would your dentist be willing to give an appointment letter stating that it's surgery? Can you speak to your Head again and just explain that while you understand staff absences are hard to cover, it's awfully painful and to avoid taking time off at a later date due to increasing pain, you'd really like to get it sorted?

4. chloance

chloance New commenter

Nobody has PPA at this time unfortunately. I’m going to have a chat to some TAs and see if one will do me a favour?

5. chloance

chloance New commenter

I’ve suggested that this appointment is the most convenient for all involved as we have trips coming up and training days etc
    And if I were to rearrange to a midweek appointment I’d require at least 2 days off for pain management which would require more cover... I will have a chat to my Head tomorrow but thank you for your advice

6. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

That’s harsh of your school.

Your attendance is excellent and based on your previous appointments all being made outside school hours I am sure you did your best to make this appointment outside school time to but need to go slightly earlier to get to this one appointment.

My school have the usual policy that medical appointments should be made out of school hours but are very accommodating when hospital appointments or something similar to your final dental appointment comes up. I’m lucky to work there.

Even HTs know that life is life and even if you try your best occasionally an appointment can only be in/near school time. I hope you get it sorted.

caress, cissy3 and chloance like this.
  7. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

It's not unreasonable to request 25 minutes. They should appreciate the fact that the appointment is on a Friday and you will spend your weekend recovering.

Most schools would surely have to grant the time off providing you had a letter. What does the school policy state?

cissy3 likes this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Take the day off sick - b*LL*cks to them

9. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

What a horrible head. I had root canal work a couple of years ago, one of the appointments was for 2 hours so the latest one I could get meant leaving school 30 mins early. It wss agreed without question

cissy3 likes this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I've heard of people having 2 weeks off for dental surgery-this sounds appalling.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

How unkind. Goodwill works both ways. The next time the head needs a favour don't do it. I'd start looking for a job with a more considerate head. I hope you get it sorted. Toothache is miserable. Best wishes to you.

caress, towncryer and cissy3 like this.
  12. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

25 mins.......is that what our profession has come to? Appalling. I've always believed that with all the extra hours we put in and goodwill too, that a request to leave 25 mins early would not be a problem. Very sad.

towncryer, Jamvic, cissy3 and 2 others like this.
  13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

What a horrible 'Head'
    Hear, hear.....

Sounds like SLTnewbie on twitter. (Thanks to the poster who recommended it)

This is their latest post:

''Hi all, Teachers off sick must set cover. Work set must include lesson plans,
    PowerPoints, differentiated worksheets, a highlighted MTP, seating plan with
    photos, PP, EAL, LAC, SEND, current grade, end of KS target and Y11 targets.

Supply teachers will show them a DVD. Thanks x''

caress and Jamvic like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

If you are in pain you should not be going into work. How on earth will you be abke to plan, prepare and teach? You will be lucky if you last by Thursday imho.with such pain..in.which case you need to phone in ill. Appt or no appt.

caress likes this.
  15. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

You rearranged it for the day before, but then the operation was so painful you're going to have to take the whole day off on that Friday... Such a shame.
    Sorry for the inconvenience. Enjoy paying for a day's agency cover instead of 25 minutes.

16. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

do you work for a school-sponsored by Amazon?

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

To some SLT, this would be reasonable!! :mad::mad::mad: