1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice cleaning a cushion seat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 8, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Can you help please

Mrs Oldy bought one of those cane chairs with a large tied in cushion seat.It was secondhand and cheap.

She now wants to clean the cushion part but its to big to go in the washing machine..and so do i

clean it manually and if so with what?

Take it to a big Laundrette and do it that way.Although as i am unsure of the stuffing I do not know how the stuffing will react.

Or to dry cleaners which I imagine is the expensive option?

I await your valued opinion

thank you

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

TBH, I'd go with the dry cleaner option. It might be a bit pricey, but if anything goes wrong, at least you;ll have some comeback.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Or replace it?

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

If all else fails, could you make a new removable cover that is washable? Otherwise, I would test a patch that won't be visible, with upholstery cleaner to see whether it makes a difference, or follow Dragonlady's suggestion.

5. oldsomeman

thanks so far folks

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

From experience don't let the cushion get wet. I cleaned my pale coloured car seats and got them too wet so dirt from the foam inside stained the outer cover. Look for some sort of dry cleaner product to do it yourself.

7. oldsomeman

In the end i used car upholstery cleaner..seemed to do the job and was fine once dried

thanks all for you advice.