1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice being paid through an umbrella agency

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Craigbythesea, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea New commenter

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. I am an LSA working for an agency and paid through an umbrella company(JSA). What are other people's experiences in regards to the fees that the umbrella company charges? For example on a weekly pay check I am paying 40-50£ in employer fees plus a contribution to the employer's national insurance which seems excessive?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"A contribution to the employer's national insurance" You what? That can't be legal. There are two parts to NI - the employee contribution, which comes out of your gross pay, and the employer contribution, which does not.

3. oshoronke52

oshoronke52 New commenter

So this was me few weeks back, i have been working with Agency for over 5 years now and i have never realized they take out Employers NI contribution, i only know of employee margin which you have to pay to process your pay by the umbrella.
    so i realized my pay was very low at this my new contract so i start to ask questions about this Employer NI that has been deducted.

So long story short, its a compulsory reduction that you have to pay if you getting paid through umbrella company which its not even part of your TAXABLE income. the only taxable income known is tax and NI that it will still be deducted from your pay.

So i had to fight my way to get moved to my agency payrol PAYE which you do not get to pay for all that and your take home make sense.

So i advice you asked to move to PAYE payrol umbrella company is good only when you have multiple jobs.