1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice appreciated!!

Discussion in 'History' started by daybreak07, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am an experienced teacher of RE who has just landed a job that involves teaching KS3 Geography and History. In the upper school I will be teaching philosophy which I am fine with. I am really excited about teaching the other subjects but must admit I am not sure where to start with Geography and History....add to this the fact that I teach in Scotland and for the first time will be grappling with the English National Curriculum!
    So, my question is this: what (friendly!) advice would you give someone in my position with regards to resources, web links, tips etc. I am not even sure if there are lesson plans etc in place in the department I will be going to (I start in September), so I have the next 7 months to fumble my way into these subjects.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi all,
    I am an experienced teacher of RE who has just landed a job that involves teaching KS3 Geography and History. In the upper school I will be teaching philosophy which I am fine with. I am really excited about teaching the other subjects but must admit I am not sure where to start with Geography and History....add to this the fact that I teach in Scotland and for the first time will be grappling with the English National Curriculum!
    So, my question is this: what (friendly!) advice would you give someone in my position with regards to resources, web links, tips etc. I am not even sure if there are lesson plans etc in place in the department I will be going to (I start in September), so I have the next 7 months to fumble my way into these subjects.

Thanks in advance.

3. I suspect you may already be aware of this site, but www.schoolhistory.co.uk should be of great use. The History Teachers Forum is a fund of knowledge, there are also resources available and the home page has links to a number of other sites run by History teachers.
    Hope that this helps; welcome to History and the English National Curriculum (for a limited period only until Mr. Gove changes it all).

4. Thank you! I will check out the website. I have been buying old text books on Amazon and I am making every effort to brush up on my knowledge!! The advice is much appreciated - so thanks again![​IMG]