1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice - Applying for Second in Department Role

Discussion in 'Education news' started by fwadee, Jul 10, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t assume anything. If you are interested in the job why not apply and see what happens? The worst is that you have thought through an application and so are ready to move quickly when the next job comes up. Good luck!

agathamorse and fwadee like this.
  2. fwadee

fwadee New commenter

Yep! My thoughts exactly. It will make the task of applying for other jobs easier. Thanks!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

That's so ON POINT!! for some schools but of course go for it!

4. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I think you would also need to think of what you can add to the school's current portfolio - is their a common ethos - and curriculum planning and guiding teachers toward the common goal - think about how you would aid the running of a department in terms of teaching and learning and managing tight deadlines and leading NQTs/Trainees etc. Good Luck.

fwadee likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Still apply by all means - nobody knows. Good luck!

6. install

install Star commenter

How much notice do you need to give at your current workplace and when does the potential job start?

7. fwadee

fwadee New commenter

Three months notice. Potential job starts in Jan 2021.

8. simonbfc

simonbfc New commenter

I was in the exact same position. Taught in a grammar for a few years, great results. Moved to FE for a change and a challenge. Had amazing results with the resits and taught A-level as well. Did that for nearly 3 years. In January of this year applied for and got a 2ic back in a school and one of the things they liked was my variety of experience. Fast forward 6 months and I'm now HoD after my predecessor moved on and they were really happy with what I'd shown so far, so it can be done. Having a spell in FE seemed to be a positive rather than a negative. If you can show you've delivered good results and also got involved in maybe delivering some CPD and helping plan the scheme of work then you should stand a good chance.

Best of luck and feel free to message me if I can be of any help.

phlogiston and fwadee like this.