1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by YasmineMohammed, May 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    This question may have been asked before. I trained as an art teacher 9 years ago. My last permanent post was in 2006 and then I took some time for career break, supply work and do charity work abroad in 2008. Since 2008 I had been in and out of supply due to the recession etc and couldn't secure a post. I am currently doing supply work but haven't been successful in being shortlisted for applications. I have been showing friends who are in teaching, looking on TES for advice in writing supporting statements, asking schools for feedback to improve my applications. I know it's a tough time and with art being an oversubscribed subject there are far too many teachers applying. I understand that NQT's are cheaper to take on for schools and fresher where as experienced teachers are more expensive. My thinking at the moment as I have been unemployed for over a year is just to get a job. I have in the past looked at other options other than teaching but I know I have a lot to bring/skills having done charity work, community and arts related work in teaching. I have even asked my previous school to come in and do voluntary work once a week to keep up to date with the curriculum, working with students to show schools am determined. Can I not ask just to be paid at an NQT rate in my application/supporting statement? I am willing to just to start afresh but it's just even securing an interview which would boost my confidence. Any advice?
    Thanks

2. Dear Theo,
    This question may have been asked before. I trained as an art teacher 9 years ago. My last permanent post was in 2006 and then I took some time for career break, supply work and do charity work abroad in 2008. Since 2008 I had been in and out of supply due to the recession etc and couldn't secure a post. I am currently doing supply work but haven't been successful in being shortlisted for applications. I have been showing friends who are in teaching, looking on TES for advice in writing supporting statements, asking schools for feedback to improve my applications. I know it's a tough time and with art being an oversubscribed subject there are far too many teachers applying. I understand that NQT's are cheaper to take on for schools and fresher where as experienced teachers are more expensive. My thinking at the moment as I have been unemployed for over a year is just to get a job. I have in the past looked at other options other than teaching but I know I have a lot to bring/skills having done charity work, community and arts related work in teaching. I have even asked my previous school to come in and do voluntary work once a week to keep up to date with the curriculum, working with students to show schools am determined. Can I not ask just to be paid at an NQT rate in my application/supporting statement? I am willing to just to start afresh but it's just even securing an interview which would boost my confidence. Any advice?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip for next time: write Dear Theo in your title, as I don't always open all threads on the off-chance that it says Dear Theo inside.
    Your question is:
    I'm afraid that a state school cannot agree to this this, as the Unions do not allow it. Sorry!
    My advice to you is really summed up in the post:
    Meet the Experts at our Job Seminars
    Look at the free advice on here (get a bossy friend to read the advice and check if your application is following it), or come to one of our seminars, or pay for an individual meeting.
    If your applications are not getting interviews, it is either because of the huge numbers of applicants, or because of the time out of permanent teaching (you need to present your supply work very positively) or because your application isn't doing justice to your skills.
    Try reading the advice again.
    Best of luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 9 days to go, this is nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *

The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May
    BUT NOW SOLD OUT. EXTRA SESSION being considered for afternoon of Saturday 14th.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Dear Theo,
    Thank you bit new to this forum thing! I had already been in touch with Julia regarding the sessions sounds really great except I don't have the money to pay for it, will definitley keep this in mind though! She also mentioned about the online applications being looked at by experts as I have 3 job applications due in on 12th May but again don't have the money.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think there is only one place left on Sat 14th now.
    If you are short of money, better to come to a seminar and learn all about it yourself. So if you aren't lucky with these applications, contact Julia and ask if there are any more Job Seeking seminars going to be run. It's an investment for your future! Some people have borrowed the money from their parents to come.
    Best of luck with those applications for next week!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 9 days to go, this is nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *

The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May
    BUT NOW SOLD OUT. EXTRA SESSION now arranged for afternoon of Saturday 14th.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!