1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by YasmineMohammed, May 5, 2011.

1. This question may have been asked before. I trained as an art teacher 9 years ago. My last permanent post was in 2006 and then I took some time for career break, supply work and do charity work abroad in 2008. Since 2008 I had been in and out of supply due to the recession etc and couldn't secure a post. I am currently doing supply work but haven't been successful in being shortlisted for applications. I have been showing friends who are in teaching, looking on TES for advice in writing supporting statements, asking schools for feedback to improve my applications. I know it's a tough time and with art being an oversubscribed subject there are far too many teachers applying. I understand that NQT's are cheaper to take on for schools and fresher where as experienced teachers are more expensive. My thinking at the moment as I have been unemployed for over a year is just to get a job. I have in the past looked at other options other than teaching but I know I have a lot to bring/skills having done charity work, community and arts related work in teaching. I have even asked my previous school to come in and do voluntary work once a week to keep up to date with the curriculum, working with students to show schools am determined. Can I not ask just to be paid at an NQT rate in my application/supporting statement? I am willing to just to start afresh but it's just even securing an interview which would boost my confidence. Any advice?

2. This question may have been asked before. I trained as an art teacher 9 years ago. My last permanent post was in 2006 and then I took some time for career break, supply work and do charity work abroad in 2008. Since 2008 I had been in and out of supply due to the recession etc and couldn't secure a post. I am currently doing supply work but haven't been successful in being shortlisted for applications. I have been showing friends who are in teaching, looking on TES for advice in writing supporting statements, asking schools for feedback to improve my applications. I know it's a tough time and with art being an oversubscribed subject there are far too many teachers applying. I understand that NQT's are cheaper to take on for schools and fresher where as experienced teachers are more expensive. My thinking at the moment as I have been unemployed for over a year is just to get a job. I have in the past looked at other options other than teaching but I know I have a lot to bring/skills having done charity work, community and arts related work in teaching. I have even asked my previous school to come in and do voluntary work once a week to keep up to date with the curriculum, working with students to show schools am determined. Can I not ask just to be paid at an NQT rate in my application/supporting statement? I am willing to just to start afresh but it's just even securing an interview which would boost my confidence. Any advice?

3. Have you tried posting this on the jobseekers' forum? If you put 'Dear Theo' in the title you will get a response from Theo Griff, who will be of immense help.
    Good luck!

4. Sorry. I have just looked and you have already posted it there. But if you want to be sure of a reply from Theo you need to put it in again with 'Dear Theo' in the title. [​IMG]

5. Thanks bit new to this forum business on here but think the advice is valuable, also found out about some seminars tes run about applying for jobs and making the most of applications, just don't have the money to do them yet!