1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice and support

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clairealo, May 19, 2011.

1. Hi,

Im just looking for a bit of advice and support really.

I've been working at a school for two terms now as an NQT on a fixed term contract. Yesterday I had my lesson observation and interview for a permanent contract. There were three jobs and I got one of them (which I am thrilled about!).
    Tonight my headteacher called me into the office to say that they interview panel were not happy with my lesson observation and I only got the job as the headteacher feels I have worked really hard the last two terms.
    He wants to observe me again with the deputy next half term.

If I am honest I wasn't happy with the lesson and agree that I did not show my best skills etc. However, I am now on such a downer and just feel like I don't even want the job as I don't deserve it. He basically said he had to fight to keep me here because he believes in me and I need to prove what I can do. I just feel so depressed and fed up.

Any advice? Would you feel the same?

Thanks for any responses
    Mrs C.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hey, observations that matter are always a disaster! Or they are in my experience.

Seriously, your HT would not keep you just because you work hard, we have some hardworking teachers that our HT would cheerfully say goodbye to in a heartbeat as they are hopeless. He will have kept you ebcause you are, or have the potential to be, an excellent teacher.

So you have an observation next half term, you would anyway as an NQT wouldn't you? Just pull out all the stops for that one and show off. Sod the scheme of work and all that, just put on a show.

3. Everyone has a blip every now and again!
    I would only be worried if you thought you had done a great lesson and they thought it was bad but you were in agreement!
    Congratulations

4. Thank you so much for all the replies, i feel so much better now. He basically said he wasnt happy with the lesson as i wasnt a real driver in it and i didnt model writing. The lesson wasnt horrendous, all children were engaged, lesson was differentiated and well resourced but didnt show obvious learning. Think he just knows i can do better and wants me to prove that to him and new deputy head. I just paniced when he said it and felt like abit of a failure. It is an outstanding school and i must admit there is always alot of pressure from smt. Think they sometimes forget im still just an nqt. Thanks again though i feel much more relaxed now.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Bless you! I just saw this thread, and agree that you must have done well for your HT to believe in you. As to the observation, this is very likely a problem with the straightjacketed way people think they should observe and not necessarily a problem with you. I love the positive responses you have received as well; it;s good to see that this is still such a supportive forum.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

(Waves to Andrew Jeffrey)

Relax!! You have a job!! A real job!! with holidays and money and everything!
    Never mind what the governors said - what do they know? A bunch of power-hungry fogies with only their own (or their children's) interests at heart? Pish.
    You'll be fine. Just remember to ask for help when you need it, and if they keep giving you More Stuff to do, remember the mantra: " I think I'll need some non-contact time to get this done".