1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice and suggestions please?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon2047, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hi,
    From reading the other posts I know I am not alone, so I suppose I am having a bit of a whinge but any advice would be very much appreciated!
    I have just finished my PGCE and did quite well, however numerous job applications since last October and I still do not have a job. I have registered with supply agencies both in and out of my area but there is absolutely nothing. I am devastated that I have workded so hard and it all seems to be for nothing, plus it would appear that if you do get a supply position you are not thoought of very highly, and if you don't, you have gaps in your employment.
    I do not know what to do for the best and feel quite low at the moment, any advice or motivational speeches would be very welcome!
    Thanks
    Jaime

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The availability of posts depends upon your phase and/or subject and your job search area! Currently primary induction posts in NE and S W are very hard to come buy and there is an oversupply of primary teachers in parts of London and S East. On the plus side if you are in an area where there is an expanding school population then opportunities will open up. Use supply effectively, make an impact ( positive that is) and remember you only have initially a 16 month window for day to day supply- push the agencies for termly supply that will allow you to serve induction. Look at gaining other work experience with children particularly over the summer- play schemes sports activities etc.

3. Unfortunately when you start supply you are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to who they will ring first, this is because they have no idea of your work and how you will represent their agency. As soon as you start getting anything work hard to get your reputation up with them and in the space of a few months you'll find some schools will have you as a first level call they want as a first choice.

4. Hi,

I finished my PGCE last year and have had 12 interviews and was turned down for all of them! I got my PGCE at masters and grade 1 on my final placement. I know I am at least a good NQT as I get requested back on supply. Now my references are a year old I am biting the bullet and applying to part-time support roles - at least this way I can get an up-to-date reference! Also as part-time I hope to balance the work with supply teaching. Got to apply for an extension of my supply period to LEAs in September though... I am so disheartened by the whole thing it's unreal!

So you're not alone there are so many people in the same position - I always meet them on interviews!

This one school I had an interview at around a month ago interviewed 5 of us, very high-quality candidates. Picked no one and guess what? The post was re-advertised later on that day! Just on a different jobsite - the other main jobsite for my area.

I could write a book about the ridiculous and horrendous experiences I've had as an NQT searching for an induction post. There needs to be a protest I think. Forget pensions - what about a jobs for talented NQTs that the 'tax payer' has spent tens of thousands of pounds training?

Daisy

5. Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
    Daisy I have had 23 applications and no interviews, nothing wrong with my app or letter or Cv and reworked it to each individual school each time. Same position as you, PGCE at M level etc and most people on my course have a job. It is really depressing and horrible - I did not expect to be in this position this time last year...Although to be honest I was more woried about surviving the PGCE!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You may not want to read this, but if you have no interviews at all after 23 applications then there IS something wrong with your application or letter.

Reworking an application form to the school is one thing, rewriting it is another. Do you start each application afresh, with the Person Spec dictating the contents? Do you answer each and every point while telling the school what an asset to them personally you will be? Have you read the advice on applications on the jobseekers part of this forum? (Open the first thread and click on the relevant links.)

Not having a post is not that unusual at the moment, unfortunately. There are too many teachers for too few jobs, especially in primary. Supply can be a lot of fun however and definitely gives you a much better work life balance!