1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice and ideas please on choosing a new laptop

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

We need a new laptop (we can't have a home PC as we don't have any office space) as our old one is giving up the ghost. We're looking to spend around £500. Out laptop is used for everything - work, play, kids games and watching TV in bed. We need something robust that can cope with being moved around a lot (current is a Toshiba and the power lead connection has broken 3 times). I would love to know of any recommendations and also if anyone knows of any great deals that are on........ On another note, does anyone know if I can remotely connect my (new) laptop to my old printer. I don't currently have remote access but wondered how I go about getting it.... Thank you!

2. Samsungs and Acers are highly rated by Which magazine

3. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks - I imagine Toshibas are not....

4. I picked up an Acer, 4 GB ram and 500gb hard drive from Comet for £400 it was in the sale, it's one my IT mates recommended.

5. Actually a few Toshibas are, but samsung & Acers are better

6. I have had two Acers and both were recommendable. Currently I have a Dell, which is ace (pardon the pun) but more expensive than you want to pay.
    Daughter has a Samsung - it is also good. Son has a compaq - wouldn't recommend it, it has been very temperamental and he now uses his desktop nearly all of the time.

7. If you do go for an acer, I would recommend deinstalling the pre-installed software - it really slows it down as there is a load of stuff you don't need (other makes do the same, but acer is particularly chronic).

8. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Sounds like Acer is the way forward. What sort of pre-installed software is slowing it down? Anti-virus programmes or just their own 'DVD player' etc etc.

9. My Acer is so slow it needs winding up...............I hate it!

10. Both mine and Mums had loads of gubbins on you don't need - Norton *spit*, a load of acer's own programmes, etc.
    I deinstalled everything (Norton is a b.iatch to get rid of) and then reinstalled my own Windows and Office, etc.
    It really speeds things up (so to the poster above - it may be what is slowing yours down).
    Here is a link (the first one I found) which might help you...
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/acer-pre-installed-software-789466/
    Apart from that, the Acers were fine though and good value for money. My only gripe was with the OEM software (no boot CDs although you do have eRecovery pre-installed, so keep that and make your own boot CD, unless you have them for your own software).

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I've had an Acer Aspire for 4 years and apart from a couple of sticky keys, it is still tiptop. Irritating really as I don't have any excuse to buy another. I fully agree about Acer crapware, but if you are happy to do a clean install of windows, (needs separate windows disc) it's not an issue. You don't need to spend too much, but for gaming, working and media I would suggest an an i3 or i5 processor, a separate graphics card, plenty of RAM and a 17" screen. http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ is a good place to browse.

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, dump the commercial antivirus program and other preinstalled heavies. I find Microsoft Security Essentials works beautifully with Windows and is totally free.
    If you want to print wirelessly, you will need a wireless printer. Check to see if yours can do it and then set it up with router.

13. I don't have it, but son has it on his desktop and I agree, it is really good (restored my faith somewhat in Microsucks).