1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice and ideas needed please!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by beats_56, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I have my first ever supply assignment starting tomorrow, half a day tomorrow then full day Wednesday. I will be covering Y1, which is great and the class teacher emailed me brief plans for me to follow, which is also great. However my worry lies within the very first lesson (the rest of the lessons, I am 100% confident and happy with).
    The children are comparing temperatures in Italy to England and I was instructed to find some simple charts and do a 45 minute lesson on this, no work needed, just discussion. All sounds easy enough right? Well I made my own chart because there were none on internetsimple enough. The thing is, I dont really like the idea of keeping 30 5/6 year olds on the carpet for 45 mins looking at a bar chart - hardly thrilling...so ive been thinking of ways I could make it more fun for them.

This is what I was thinking...I'll spend some time asking them what they already know about Italy (I know they have been doing work on it), introduce chart on IWB and discuss weather. Ask them what they can see etc. As a class, we will work out the temp in Italy in January etc so they know how to work it out. The chart I made is very simple and colour coded. I thought I could then put them into teams with silly team names and a chart each to look at on their table. I will then do a little quiz based on the chart "What is the temp of england in dec?", "which is always hotter, Italy or England?" etc. Winning team gets a sticker each. I thought if I could get the kids more interested if I made a game out of it, maybe throw a few general questions in there too "What colour is Nemo" etc.

What does this sound like? Its the only thing i could really think of doing that was fun and without asking them to do work. Ive got to do the same thing the next day and have devised a drama activity for that.

Any more ideas are greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Hi everyone
    I have my first ever supply assignment starting tomorrow, half a day tomorrow then full day Wednesday. I will be covering Y1, which is great and the class teacher emailed me brief plans for me to follow, which is also great. However my worry lies within the very first lesson (the rest of the lessons, I am 100% confident and happy with).
    The children are comparing temperatures in Italy to England and I was instructed to find some simple charts and do a 45 minute lesson on this, no work needed, just discussion. All sounds easy enough right? Well I made my own chart because there were none on internetsimple enough. The thing is, I dont really like the idea of keeping 30 5/6 year olds on the carpet for 45 mins looking at a bar chart - hardly thrilling...so ive been thinking of ways I could make it more fun for them.

This is what I was thinking...I'll spend some time asking them what they already know about Italy (I know they have been doing work on it), introduce chart on IWB and discuss weather. Ask them what they can see etc. As a class, we will work out the temp in Italy in January etc so they know how to work it out. The chart I made is very simple and colour coded. I thought I could then put them into teams with silly team names and a chart each to look at on their table. I will then do a little quiz based on the chart "What is the temp of england in dec?", "which is always hotter, Italy or England?" etc. Winning team gets a sticker each. I thought if I could get the kids more interested if I made a game out of it, maybe throw a few general questions in there too "What colour is Nemo" etc.

What does this sound like? Its the only thing i could really think of doing that was fun and without asking them to do work. Ive got to do the same thing the next day and have devised a drama activity for that.

Any more ideas are greatly appreciated
    Thanks

3. if you can get your hands on some thermometers you could get them to take thermometers outside and, with support, read the temperature.
    then give them a hot italian temperature with a sunny picture and get them to draw pictures/ write key words of what they would take to italy (sunglasses, suncream, t-shirts...) and what they would wear here.
    for your support group: give them various pictures of clothing and ask them to sort them into italy/ uk wear.
    as a plenary you could bring some clothing and selsct pupils to come up and put on an item of clothing for uk (ie: a scarf or wolly hat) and items they would wear in italy (sunglasses, cap) and maybe explain why.

Good luck it'll be fine, the fact you are thinking about it now shows you are gonna be great.

4. Is this drifting into comparing the UK in winter with Italy in summer? Won't it depend on the data and date you choose. Italy is also mountainous and snowy in places, we had some warm January days, but is it possible Italy had some days of similar temperature or cooler?

5. I just checked the weather forecast for Milan, I'd struggle to to identify it as much different from the UK, frost at night, daytime high around 5-6 degrees.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/63

6. This was exactly my problem! There only seemed to be a difference of a few degrees but I got the best information I could find and used excel to make a simple bar chart. Ive put both lots of info on one chart so that they can visually see the difference without having to work out how many degrees each month is. Thank you for your help..I think I will do a cut and stick activity, sorting the clothes etc. Thanks again!