1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice and Help - Please.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by steford, Nov 7, 2011.

  1. steford

    steford New commenter

    Hi all,
    I am currently working in the FE sector (sport & Public Service) My role involves me teaching tutorials (ECM framework) and i am also Learning support rep for the department. I am trying to move away from sport and into SEN.
    I am looking for some advice or help on how to move into SEN. I would love to teach ASD and have some experiance in this area.
    I am looking for some qualifications i can do to help me move. I have a baby on the way so moving for GTP is not an option.
    Any help or advice would be great.
  2. dzil

    dzil Occasional commenter

    Are you wanting to teach pupils with ASD in school or FE provision? If it's in school, the only way to teach is to complete a course leading to QTS (qualified teacher status) This is usually a PGCE with QTS although the graduate teacher programme would do. If you can't do this then the only way to work in a school would be by becoming a teaching assistant so that you could support the students and the teacher in the classroom. For this you'd usually be expected to have a suitable teaching assistant qualification.
    If you want to teach in FE you don't need QTS but may need to complete the FE. PGCE.
  3. RamC

    RamC New commenter

    The University of Birmingham does some excellent distance learning qualifications ranging from postgrad diploma's (1yr) to MEd in Autism (3 yrs). It's the kind of thing that could keep you going through mat. leave ;)

Share This Page