1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice and help needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mr_free_sat, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Im a pgce student studying 7 - 11 in primary school. I've only got a few weeks left but really struggling. I now know primary school is not for me, I don't want to make myself unhappy and it would not be fair on the pupils I would be teaching to have someone who does not want to be there.
    I did a history degree and I really enjoy the subject, for some reason I opted for primary school. Does anyone know what I would have to do to be able to teach secondary, would have to do another PGCE?
    Even adult learning, any jobs which could be pursued with a PGCE under my belt?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Hello,
    I don't have any advice for you but wanted to wish you luck in finding something you do want to do.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You can teach any age once you qualify. I qualified in secondary, but teach primary.

If I were you I would try for jobs in middle or prep schools initially. Then you get to teach mainly your subject, but have a much better chance of being offered the post. It is unlikely that you would get a post in a secondary school as there will be trained secondary history teachers also applying.

4. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my messages.

5. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

My friend did exactly that. History graduate - did a PGCE and a year in Primary but didn't like it; is now working in a Middle School and really loving it. Good luck