1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice and help about teaching in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by newstart2012, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have just got a job teaching in Thailand but neeed some advice...
    The school has not sent me a contract and say that the letter they sent to confirm was enough for them to employ me and i did not need a contract is this correct?The letter is on headed paper.
    The salary I will be on is 28000 baht, is this really enough to live on in the south of Thailand? I know that you would need more in Bangkok.
    Does anyone know how much you get taxed a month? I had not even thought about this until I saw this on another thread.
    I have tried reseaching the school to find reviews but I cannot find anything on the internet but then most places say you are not aloud to mention school names anyway. Should i be worried about this?
    Will there be anyone else out in Thailand this summer? It would be great if I knew someone else was going to getting just as nervous as I am.
    Finally anyone have any advice at all? I am really looking forward to the new challenge but worried about leaving everything behind that I have in the UK.
    Thanks
    Dee

2. Hi,
    I have just got a job teaching in Thailand but neeed some advice...
    The school has not sent me a contract and say that the letter they sent to confirm was enough for them to employ me and i did not need a contract is this correct?The letter is on headed paper.
    The salary I will be on is 28000 baht, is this really enough to live on in the south of Thailand? I know that you would need more in Bangkok.
    Does anyone know how much you get taxed a month? I had not even thought about this until I saw this on another thread.
    I have tried reseaching the school to find reviews but I cannot find anything on the internet but then most places say you are not aloud to mention school names anyway. Should i be worried about this?
    Will there be anyone else out in Thailand this summer? It would be great if I knew someone else was going to getting just as nervous as I am.
    Finally anyone have any advice at all? I am really looking forward to the new challenge but worried about leaving everything behind that I have in the UK.
    Thanks
    Dee

3. aridion

aridion New commenter

First and foremost, I would say that 28,000 baht isn't a great salary. I take it that you will be teaching English at a Thai government school?

If that salary can offer you any level of comfort depends on where you will be placed.

4. Run away....granted I work at one of the top international schools in Bangkok, but we get 100k+ a month. 28k in Bangkok wouldn't be nice, especially if you have to pay accom too. Our condo alone is 40k before bills....mind you, it is beautiful!

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

If you are a qualified teacher you should be looking at a lot more than this as a basic salary. Taxation is done on a sliding scale you can pay anything up to about 30% but I doubt that you will get clobbered for that although being a foreigner anything can happen!
    Any chance you could let us know what particular part of the South you are going to be working in? There are a couple places with problems down there at the moment which you might be best off giving a miss to.
    All the best
    Perce

6. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

You say the south of Thailand? Where in the south? Places like Yala and Hat Yai are not the safest of places with the Islamic unrest.
    28K sounds like an state school, where teaching conditions are not the best - classes of 40+ uninterested, unmotivated students plus longer hours than international schools.
    PM me with the name of the school and I might be able to mine some info for you.
    Bear in mind middle tier international school will be paying 75K+ for the most inexperienced teacher and more for experienced staff. Top tier have much better rates.

Michael

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Oh dear. How desperate are you? To take this you would need to be in serious dire straits or not in it for the money.
    This is the lowest salary I've come across for many years in Thailand (My apartment 14 years ago cost 20,000 a month!)

8. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

That is very,very low; approximately 560 GBP/month. Do you get anything else (housing, flights, medical insurance) to compensate for this? It would be difficult to live reasonably on this amount. As previous posters have said, fairly decent mid-tier schools would be offering around 75,000 a month.

9. You can survive on 28000 a month but you'll hardly live like a king. To put your salary into perspective, I used to teach EFL in southern Thailand, and was on more than that nearly 10 years ago. I have just secured a position at an international school in Bangkok, and they are paying me well over 100K per month.