1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about teaching in Canada please?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tabithaconnolly, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in Canada, and whilst we are still in the very early stages of looking into the practicalities of it I was hoping I could get some advice about teaching over there.

From the very little I have been able to find about it so far, I gather that there are plenty of teachers in Canada. And that I would have to spend years doing short term/ temporary work before I got a permanent role. However, the information I have found on forums etc. seems to be about 5 years old, so I wondered if it had changed at all? Or if anyone knows more about it?

Thanks

2. forest1234

forest1234 New commenter

Each province has different requirements and you are right that there is still an oversupply of teachers.

All I really know is Canada is more expensive than you would imagine but it is a beautiful place.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I work with a Canadian teacher. She has no chance of gaining a full-time teaching post in Canada so she came to UK to teach maths and gain some valuable experience. She is from Ontario.

4. Unfortunately this is what I thought! But thanks for your help :)

5. suefla

suefla New commenter

Don't know too much about the teaching situation but we lived there many years ago and the worst thing we weren't prepared for was the excruciating cold. We'd read all kinds of report, reviews etc. and we'd seen the temperature numbers printed, we weren't expecting swimsuits and beaches, but until we experienced out first winter, we had no idea.

Just the sheer hassle of getting ready to go out and do the smallest errand, the stuff you had to pack in your car in case of a breakdown, watching the kids for frostbite at the school bus stop, just a nightmare.