1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about my level of experience

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 1FineDay, Aug 15, 2019.

1. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

On your experience, you might get a job with 1 years teaching, but in general you need 2 years for many countries simply to get the employment visa. I also think that it's better to get yourself sorted more as a teacher in your home country, because you don't want to be getting to grips with the basics of teaching while struggling to find your feet in a new culture.

agcb256 likes this.
  2. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

If parents are so keen for their children to learn a foreign language properly, they would surely send them to a bilingual school, or move to the country where the language is spoken (or invest in private tuition). For GCSEs, it's a case of teach to the test and pass the exam. There really is little scope for expansive language exposure in this case - the syllabus literally lists everything that will be examined - and we all know class teachers teach to the test, as that is the real wish of parents and students. So, I would hope that if I can prove that I get results for my students at GCSE, this will be enough to have me selected over native speakers who may not have strong results. Now this is where staying in the UK for a few years starts to seem appealing, to allow me to build up a history of success (hopefully) that will be difficult to ignore at interview. However, if it will not make a blind bit of difference and I will always struggle since I am not a native Spanish/French speaker, then I may have to consider switching to teach curriculum English (if you have any ideas on this please let me know).

I like your point about the Russian lady. It shows that what matters is pedagogical content knowldge. Dylan Wiliam makes a good point about primary schools selecting maths graduates for KS2 teachers over more experienced teachers without such 'advanced subject knowledge' , under the mistaken impression that they will be better able to teach the maths component of the curriculum. The same is true for MFL departments selecting native speakers over non-natives. Native speakers have a huge disadvantage in the fact that they use constructions and language all the time without the need to think about it, leading many to under teach.

Parents are also limited in the number of schools they can send their children to. They may make demands (as parents are known to do on occasion) but the school is in the driving seat as demand for school places grows ever higher.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You're preaching to the choir here but the fact if the matter is that if you apply and a French native apply, they'll almost certainly be ahead of you. This doesn't mean you can't get a job, and shouldn't worry you too much as I'm sure you will find places that will employ you on your strengths rather than your nationality. However, it will just be a little more challenging than it will for teachers of other subjects

4. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

It is crucially important that you complete your NQT year and get the induction year successfully completed. Personally, I’ll work 2-3 years more in the UK to hone my subject and pedagogical skills in UK classrooms before moving abroad. That way, you’ll have gained 3 post-qualifying years of UK experience, have some exams results’ data under your belt, then moving overseas - where in excellent schools - exams data is a core, you should be able to fit in, and because the aspirational level is often high, your results data year on year should look impressive, making your return to UK schools quite easy. I won’t be in a rush to move abroad - not immediately after my NQT year.
    Given that you’re MFL, personally, I’ll seek to work in countries where those languages are spoken as mother tongue. I had an MFL colleague who lived and worked/taught in France for 5 years before returning to the UK. Not only did that time helped hone her French skills, year on year, she nailed the best GCE + GCSE results in the school. Best of luck.