1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about Kumon saught please!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tigerbaba, Apr 16, 2012.

1. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

I am an experienced teacher who has been presented with a Kumon franchise. I am confused whether to do supply and then do it on a part-time basis or to plunge into it on a full time basis. Is there anyone who have had some experience of running a Kumon centre? Any thoughts and ideas welcome, especially, advice. Thanks.

2. I was recently in a similar position to you but was looking into Kip McGrath franchises. You might find some interesting comments under my thread about that on here not too long ago. Without going into detail about what I discovered I would say that I approached a number of local centres (directly rather than ones recommended by the sales team) and 3 out of 4 were more than happy to meet with me and talk frankly about their experiences. I came up with some standard questions to ask each to enable me to get a good idea from their experiences as they had nothing to gain from me starting up or not.

I didn't look into Kumon very much but the one thing that stands out is that their set up costs are virtually nothing (couple of thousand maybe) so it's quite easy to get up and running, but I believe their fee is then 40% of everything you take which put me off.

Can I ask what area you are in?