1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about keeping distracted students engaged

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fauziafatima, Dec 13, 2015.

1. fauziafatima

fauziafatima New commenter

I always find myself repeating disciplinary instructions a number of times whenever I am using digital technology in the classroom and students have to work collaboratively. At times I feel it's difficult for 6 year old students to work collaboratively as each one of them wants to handle the device independently. How can I ensure on task behaviour? How can I ensure collaboration in an ET lesson?
    Help much needed!

2. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Before getting the equipment out I would create a set of 3 rules. Allow the children to set them and display them on the board or on flip chart paper you can repeatedly stick back up. Remind children who are grabbing/being disruptive of the rules. Set the expectation that any child who is not following the rule after they have received a verbal warning will be removed from the activity to do a separate independent task until they can learn to work collaboratively. Make sure you do act on this, don't just give empty warnings. As soon as they see one child removed from the activity it will send a clear message to the rest. This is the same for activities in the ICT room, always have a backup for those who are not behaving.

You could try by using an interactive timer on the IWB or a sand timer indicating when children must pass the technology on to the next person in their group. (e.g. http://www.classtools.net/education-games-php/timer). Decide this time with the children "How long should we use the equipment for before we have to share?" This is a rule they have created together, not one you have decided yourself. After a while you won't need to use the visual aid anymore.

I would make sure that the rest of the children have a task to be getting on with when they are not using the technology. It took me a few weeks to realise this myself. It stops them all gathering around the one child with the ipad and grabbing it/touching it and it ensures that every child is busy and on task - no time to be distracted or disengaged (hopefully).

3. fauziafatima

fauziafatima New commenter

Thanks a lot for helpful tips. I really appreciate it.