1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jul 8, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My IE went into meltdown last night - kept loading and reloading with the repeated message" not responding". I ran a full scan using my Norton security thingy but it still isn't really right today so I've switched to Google Chrome which I already had loaded anyway. I don't really want to take it to be checked over. Am I OK just running Google Chrome and forgetting about IE or will the problem (virus??) spread? Any thoughts?

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

Sounds to me like your IE has been corrupted during an update (not that rare)

You could correct that by getting a new update or download but if chrome works and you are happy with it you could just wait for the next IE update

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You don't use the valued opinions website do you? Their alert app screws up IE

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks. No I don't use opinion alert app and I'm getting to like Chrome so I'll stick with it.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Since Chrome is working for you, I would suggest that you go to Start>Control Panel>Programs and then uninstall IE.

Then (using Chrome) go to windows.microsoft.com/.../download-ie and re-install IE but use it as a backup.

It is always useful to have a backup browser, as you have already found out) in case Chrome crashes too.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Good idea.