1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about hiring a car in Spain please.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lizzywilmot, Jul 7, 2015.

1. lizzywilmot

lizzywilmot New commenter

Hi

I'm going to Spain on holiday in a couple of weeks and need to hire a car from Alicante airport. I've heard all sorts of things about having to pay again for insurance or being forced to pay for a full tank of petrol and charged double for it. Can anyone recommend a car hire company please?

Thanks.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our insurance was included in the rent price but we have additional Collision Damage Waiver ( I think that's what its called) insurance that would pay the excess if we did have any damage to the car.If you get it from this company before you go for a years cover it is cheaper than buying what they might try and flog you in Alicante.

www.insurance4carhire.com

This has been recommended for a few years now.

It's best to hire a car with a full tank and return it full. They do sometimes charge you a bit extra on your card after you've got home saying it needed topping up.

There are lots of articles you can google about how to avoid the pitfalls. I always worry about it. Can't suggest a company - we have used big international companies and small local guys and we've never had serious trouble (fingers crossed)

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You will need a photo licence for Spain. I am hiring a car in Europe this year (Poland) and although we don't need the green paper part anymore I shall still take mine in case their paperwork hasn't caught up with the UK's.

4. tidal

tidal New commenter

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

They were talking about needing to get code numbers online so companies could check your licence details but I haven't heard of anyone needing that. I think it was just someone causing a panic. We were certainly fine in Croatia and various friends were in Spain.

Ah tidal, that was what I was referring to. I can't imagine a busy office in an airport worrying about that. it takes forever to fill in the forms as it is.

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

I have heard varying reports though mostly that it wasn't really a problem

However better warned than not

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

They drive on the right

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They drive in the shade!

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I've hired a car in Spain a few times and never had a problem. The best thing to do to avoid dodgy surcharges are the same as in Britain - ensure you leave enough time on return for them to inspect the car and give you a receipt showing fully paid. When you hire the car, tell them what you want to do and ask their advice on timings.

I too have found insurance4carhire straightforward and good value. I've used them for years in the Uk but never abroad.

10. lizzywilmot

lizzywilmot New commenter

Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you know how I get on. :)

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Important fact : if you pay with a gold Mastercard or Visa you are fully covered for insurance. Would advise to always take out the insurance which will cover accidental damage and even punctures. Daughter works for a car hire company so I know how a small incident can be costly.