1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about gaining QTS status

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ruby_bh, Jun 11, 2017.

1. ruby_bh

ruby_bh New commenter

Help! After almost 4 years of teaching in the UK I am being asked about QTS status - any advice?

I completed my teacher training and taught for 18 months in Sydney, Australia. When I moved to London I got my first job through an agency, which turned into a permanent job at an independent school. After 3 years I resigned and found a different role at a state school, again through an agency and had never needed QTS to be paid on the main pay scale. Now my current state school want to employ me directly (without the agency) but are saying I need QTS status. I have been teaching for 6 years. Any advice on the best way to go about this? Can my current or previous school sign off as they observed me many times through processes of professional development?

Or do I need a letter from a particular body in Australia? I was registered when teaching there, but since it's 4 years since then I'm not sure how straight forward that would be.

Many thanks!

2. drek

drek Lead commenter

Do you have any evidence of a teaching qualification in Australia? If that was accepted by your first school and your second school, then that is something to try to push through your current school along with the evidence of your last MPS salary slip.
    I'm assuming that though your agency got you the jobs you were paid directly by the UK schools?
    I'm not sure if your old school can just sign off a QTS. The observation cycle you were doing were for your MPS status.
    I think for QTS the school has to register themselves and you or some such bureaucratic procedures will be involved if my memory serves me right.
    It's worth trying though it seems a bit silly if your qualifications were accepted and you have been teaching as a main pay scale teacher for so long to have to start from scratch again?

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Self assessment. Isn't cheap mind. But you do meet the criteria. School has to support you and then it takes a year.

4. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

5. KKaupa

KKaupa New commenter

Hi Ruby,

This is from the get into teaching website, which should help:

Gaining qualified teacher status
    To be a qualified teacher in England, you will need to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). You may be able to gain QTS in England without any further training or assessment. If you are qualified to teach in the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, visit GOV.UK to find out more. Although not mandatory for all schools, evidence shows that most schools hire teachers who hold QTS, or are working towards QTS.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts

Hope this helps,

Kathryn

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I think if you were fully registered in Australia then that counts for your QTS in England.

7. gwhite1

gwhite1 New commenter

If you hold or can hold full registration in Australia, you simply contact the body with which you are registered and they will send you a letter that states the same, and you use that to be granted QTS. They will know the letter you need. If you are only provisonally registered, you won't get the letter that you need. Historically, the VIT accepted UK experience to grant you full registration, but I believe that this has now changed. However, if you taught in Sydney you may be able to get your principal there to complete Part B of the VIT's registration form, pay the fee, and then you'd get full registration in Victoria, which you could use to get QTS here. However, this may also have changed. I sorted mine back in 2011 or 12, so this advice may be outdated. Sorry if it is.