1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice about being a supply teacher.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by deeplota, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I have nearly finished my PGDE (Secondary math) and will not be participating in the probation teacher program but will be taking the flexible route to qualify. Can any current supply teacher offer any advice about the pros and cons of working as a supply teacher and any other relevant advice you can give?

2. I have nearly finished my PGDE (Secondary math) and will not be participating in the probation teacher program but will be taking the flexible route to qualify. Can any current supply teacher offer any advice about the pros and cons of working as a supply teacher and any other relevant advice you can give?

3. In secondary the biggest problem is actually getting ANY supply work. Cover supervisors are used extensively now at a fraction of the cost of a teacher. This term exams mean there is little need for supply cover.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Pro; if you get work.
    You get a really good look at various different schools and see some good and bad practice.
    You can make mistakes, and learn from them, whilst being able to move on.
    Con;
    It can wear your self-esteem. Some classes are really, truly awful (even at primary)
    You end up penniless!