1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising on Facebook marketplace - help!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Oldtwistedhazel, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Oldtwistedhazel

Oldtwistedhazel New commenter

Does anyone here advertise on Facebook marketplace? I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I put my ad up last year, and did get a couple of students from it. However I am trying to put another ad up, advertising online tuition until we can do face to face again, and my post keeps getting rejected.

I know that Facebook can be funny about advertising services, but I see people promoting their small, local businesses like window cleaning and gardening services quite frequently. And I have put an ad up in the past (in fact, some people contacted me recently, so it is still there somewhere) so I know it can be done. Has anyone got any advice?

My advert consisted of a photo of a card with some information on, and a brief description to go along with it.

Thanks so much!

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I wonder if advertising as an on-line tutor doesn't meet the local requirements or whether it's something else. To be honest I haven't had very reliable clients from facebook adverts/posts in groups and it seems to be the cheapest rate that trumps everything else in my area.

bramblesarah likes this.
  3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I've never done a marketplace ad
    I've got a Facebook page and I get work from there

4. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Some local groups appear to let tutors on, others don't. No rhyme nor reason. Best to do a search to find as many overlapping gps as possible, join, then test the water by drip-feeding ads to one, then the next, etc.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

It might be worth using your old ad and then adding to it by saying at this time you are only doing online due to Covid.

6. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I once paid a relatively small sum to place an advert on FB just to see if it would be effective. Alas, it wasn't. Not a single lead. I had better success with a FB page that I asked friends/family to share and received a couple of students from that.

I'd recommend trying a variety of methods to get your profile visible to the local community, preferably ways that are either free to use or take little effort to maintain (preferably both).

7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I gave a Facebook business page which is open to the public, I get some good traffic but again no customers.

I am setting my own website up and doing a LinkedIn profile soon to. I think it’s about increasing your volume of your own professional presence to get noticed, things such as liking comments, joining groups, Using hashtags.