1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising my job before I resign

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by smileyanna1, Mar 4, 2011.

1. smileyanna1

smileyanna1 New commenter

I am starting back at work on Monday after maternity leave, and whilst on leave decided that I wanted to move back to my home area so I had family support with the baby who is now 15 weeks. I have applied for a few jobs, one of which decided to take up references before interview (I don't even know if I have interview!), so the head found out I was applying for jobs before I got chance to warn him. He was fine after I talked to him, and after I told him how much I wanted to move (although I won't move without a job!), and assured him it wasn't the school, he said he would do all he could to help.
    I had a KIT day today, and one of the first things that was said to me when I walked in the office was 'oh, you won't be here in September will you?', from a new teacher that I hardly knew! It turns out that my HOD - who I had not had chance to talk to, and had found out via chinese whispers - had sent an email to the entire department saying that I was looking for a job, would be leaving in September, and a job advert would be going out this week.
    I have 2 issues - firstly I don't believe that it is anybody's business but mine, the head's, and anyone I choose to tell, that I am looking for another job. I also have friends in the department who I would have liked to break the news to slightly gentler, and am concerned that I am going to look stupid if I don't get a job and everyone knows! I tackled my HOD about this, and he saw no problem at all, claiming that he was just keeping the department informed!
    Secondly - can school legally advertise my job before I resign? It is very flattering that they are convinced that I will walk into a job, but I fear the reality is different. If I don't get a job / resign what will happen to the candidates? Technically there isn't a vacancy.
    There are various other issues that are putting a downer on my return to work, but this got me really cross! What do you think?

2. smileyanna1

I am starting back at work on Monday after maternity leave, and whilst on leave decided that I wanted to move back to my home area so I had family support with the baby who is now 15 weeks. I have applied for a few jobs, one of which decided to take up references before interview (I don't even know if I have interview!), so the head found out I was applying for jobs before I got chance to warn him. He was fine after I talked to him, and after I told him how much I wanted to move (although I won't move without a job!), and assured him it wasn't the school, he said he would do all he could to help.
    I had a KIT day today, and one of the first things that was said to me when I walked in the office was 'oh, you won't be here in September will you?', from a new teacher that I hardly knew! It turns out that my HOD - who I had not had chance to talk to, and had found out via chinese whispers - had sent an email to the entire department saying that I was looking for a job, would be leaving in September, and a job advert would be going out this week.
    I have 2 issues - firstly I don't believe that it is anybody's business but mine, the head's, and anyone I choose to tell, that I am looking for another job. I also have friends in the department who I would have liked to break the news to slightly gentler, and am concerned that I am going to look stupid if I don't get a job and everyone knows! I tackled my HOD about this, and he saw no problem at all, claiming that he was just keeping the department informed!
    Secondly - can school legally advertise my job before I resign? It is very flattering that they are convinced that I will walk into a job, but I fear the reality is different. If I don't get a job / resign what will happen to the candidates? Technically there isn't a vacancy.
    There are various other issues that are putting a downer on my return to work, but this got me really cross! What do you think?

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

They can advertise and if someone was given the post and you didn't resign it would be the school's problem not yours.

4. Absolutely. It is THEIR problem. Too many of us are too conscientious. How conscientious are they being? Good luck!

5. It sounds as if a little psychological pressure is being exerted to make to go whether you have a new post or not.
    If you don't mind my saying so, your HoD sounds a ******.

6. smileyanna1

I don't mind you saying so - at the moment I would tend to agree!
    We have had some staffing issues this year, with staff leaving mid-year for various reasons, so I can see that they wouldn't want to leave themselves with any staffing problems for September. I still don't think any of it is right though. I also have responsibility within the department which they would have to advertise. I know they wouldn't want me to go, I think they are just scared now that I have mentioned the possibility

7. I'm not surprised you're annoyed. Same thing happened to me: I got an interview, told only the head and HOD, and then the next afternoon a person I barely know asked me (or rather shouted loudly across the staffroom for all to hear) - "How was your interview?" I hadn't got the job and was reallypP*ssed off at having to explain that to someone that I didn't even want to know anyway. It's just a matter of tact and professionalism to keep quiet about a job which someone else is gping for, and your HOD seems to lack the brains to do so.
    So aside from your HOD being indiscreet, they are advertising your job which isn't even vacant. It seems to me that they haventg got a clue about proper procedure, but yeah, they can do this. I wouldn't want to be the one explaining to an angry new recruit that the job they got isn't actually available any more....

8. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

If you don't resign and they have two people for same post, then that will be their problem. However, make sure, if you need to be in a job, that you are not pressurised into resigning before you have a job to go to. Not only will you have no salary, obvioulsly, but a gap between current and next job will count as a break in service and could affect things for you later on, especially if you have built up a few years service. Also, if you resign and then are unfoirtunate and are sick etc. for a long term, you will then have no sick pay etc.etc. None of us know what's around the corner, so make sure you protect yourself and your family. Speak to your union for good, clear adivce. Good luck.