1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising internally for Assistant Head...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by aw27, Feb 2, 2012.

1. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Are you sure? I know a head that employed a deputy head from existing staff without advertising or even telling most of the rest of the staff! And I'm fairly sure this person would have checked what they were and weren't allowed to do!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Certain - The School Staffing (England) Regulations 2009 , para 15. The rules applying to appointing Head and Deputy Head are identical.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/2680/regulation/15/made
    However, that para also allows Governing Bodies not to advertise either post if "it has good reason not to" and guidance on what that means isn't very specific. It's often invoked where appointing the internal person wouldn't create a job vacancy, or putting the other way round, if you filled the DHT post externally someone else on the staff would have to be made redundant.
    BTW head cannot appoint the deputy. Only Governing Body can do this and cannot delegate it to the head.

3. I've got a hunch that if it's a restructure, and an external advert would create a risk of redundancy, then it's possible to advertise internally only.

4. aw27

aw27 New commenter

That would explain it - it was a matter of shifting roles rather than filling a vacancy. I imagine however that the head 'directed' the governors as to who 'they' should appoint....!

5. I also think there is a clause that says something like "unless there is a good reason not to".