1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising in ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Angelheaded, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hello folks!

I had a random shower thought this morning... Is it possible to teach ICT and computer science without inadvertently promoting the businesses that dominate it?

Does ICT/Computing teaching implicitly support the Microsoft/Mac/Dell etc companies of the world? And is there any way to be completely business agnostic in ICT? Is there any other subject area that has such an implicit relationship with a commercial industry?

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

First of all, be ashamed for using the phrase 'random shower thought' unless it was a thought in the shower, and not some touchy-feely 'idea shower' PC re-name of an already perfectly good phrase.

To answer the question, no with a little maybe.

You don't have to stick to anyone particular package to teach ICT or Computing. For instance, Open Office is used instead of Microsft Office in some schools. Small Basic or Java or Python or VB used to teach programming, so on and so on.

However, certain programs (mainly Microsft) are implicitly linked to the function they carry out. A presentation is expected to be shown via PowerPoint, spreadsheets are expected to be Excel in nature, but this is only due to their dominance in that market, in much the same way that you hoover the carpet not vacumn it, or use a biro not a ball-point pen.

So in summary, no teaching ICT doesn't have to support the dominance of the large organisations nor does it have to promote it - they are ubiquitous enough that they don't need our support.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

my advice. If this sort of question bothers you enough to post about it then perhaps a bath might be more advisable than a shower in future.

4. No, I did actually mean a random thought you have in a shower/when brushing your teeth etc. There's a whole online community dedicated to them www.reddit.com/.../showerthoughts

I get your point about Biro/Hoover, where brands have become the common name or even verb for the action their perform. I've even heard people say Google it on Bing, which I find hilarious. In fact, I try to use it whenever I speak to a Microsoft employee. But people don't buy Hoovers anymore, so it's not enforcing a monopoly, it's just a linguistic artefact.

I'm not exactly on a soapbox about this by the way. I'm not overly concerned. I just thought it was interesting to ponder whether our technology overlords have already won.