1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advert trying to put me off wine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Wine and beer are stronger now too. Alcohol units are based on a 125 ml glass of wine at 7%. Try finding a wine at 7% in your local shop...even one under 10% is unusual.

2. Yes, Lily - I grew up in a family where women did not drink (goodness knows what happened to my sister and me!).
    There would be ONE glass of white wine (Blue Nun, good grief) on a Sunday with the Sunday Roast (I don't know what happened to the rest of the bottle - I do hope they didn't use the same bottle of Blue Nun for weeks on end).
    Then there was one glass of port and lemon on Boxing Day when posh Aunty J came.
    That was it.
    I have never, even seen any of my rellies drunk, actually. Neither the men nor the women.
    Apart from my Dad, but I was only a wee kid then and that is enough to witness for a lifetime.
    Grandad would have his Sunday stint from 12 till 2 in t'pub - two pints of stout and home to wifey.
    Step-dad has always had his Thursday evening with the "boys" but they only manage about a pint between the 5 of them...

3. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Absolutely, CQ.
    I'm 50 plus and certainly not a candidate for AA!
    I'm now off to enjoy a Saturday glass of rose, and blow the statistics!

4. My one gran always enjoyed a port and lemon or a sherry on special occasions and Sanatogen wine or a hot toddy for medicinal reasons. My other gran never drank. My mum an dad were both regular but not heavy drinkers so I guess that I have carried on their example. I have never been able to binge drink to the level achieved by my children's generation. I would be considered a lightweight by people of that age, including some work colleagues.