1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advert jingles

Discussion in 'Music' started by nikkib_1986, Mar 16, 2011.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but in the past I've used this old Coco pops advert.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MWhn1eixI

I play the clip a few times and then mute the sound and play it again. I then get pupils to compose some of the sound effects from the advert, create a new slogan etc.
    I've done this with Garage band and just using keyboards in the past so I guess ejay could work too (though I'm not too familiar with this programme).
    Pupils seem to really enjoy it and I've been able to do it with a whole range of differing pupils needs.
    Hope this helps!

2. That's very kind of you, I'll give it a go. I have a few resources but they are very old (video tape that crackles!).
    Many thanks.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What a very good clip. Not easy for kids to replicate the details, but it's very informative.

5. How funny! My old resources were the same clip on the Channel 4 Backtracks music programme no.4 (Adverts). My video has since broken and channel 4 told me they no longer had the resource available!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Well there you go! I thought it was a really good clip to put the task into context in the real world. I'm sure that the children never give a second thought to the music in an advert or that it is actually someone's paid job to compose these jingles.
    Of course they won't be able to use of all of the techniques of the composer in the clip, but he does make some very valid points about what to consider. I particularly liked the mention of 'placing' sound effects.
    If you look in class clips you might uncover some other 'lost' treasures!

7. Yes - brilliant. I've only used them for teaching History for SEN pupils and wouldn't have thought to look. Thanks again.