1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adverse terms in employment contract

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ozzie777, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

Theoretical question at this stage, but triggered by an article in the ATL magazine, in which a teacher described receiving an employment contract from an academy which did not allow sick leave to be paid in the first year.

I am just about to apply for a role with an academy. What would happen if I was offered the role after interview and later found - when they issued the contract - that there was something unexpected? Is it feasible to accept the role "subject to contract" or to withdraw acceptance if there are unacceptable clauses. It seems to me that the rules of engagement have changed somewhat, where academies can write their own terms of employment. When I worked in industry and changed jobs, I would have a sollicitor look over the employment contract before signing up.

2. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

Theoretical question at this stage, but triggered by an article in the ATL magazine, in which a teacher described receiving an employment contract from an academy which did not allow sick leave to be paid in the first year.

I am just about to apply for a role with an academy. What would happen if I was offered the role after interview and later found - when they issued the contract - that there was something unexpected? Is it feasible to accept the role "subject to contract" or to withdraw acceptance if there are unacceptable clauses. It seems to me that the rules of engagement have changed somewhat, where academies can write their own terms of employment. When I worked in industry and changed jobs, I would have a sollicitor look over the employment contract before signing up.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you can accept "subject to contract" and then withdraw.
    But the law - this is general employment law - requires contracts of employment to be issued no later than 8 weeks . . . after you have started work - which could mean October half term for a September start. Bit late to withdraw!
    So the moral is that if you have concerns, then e-mail the Business Manager and ask for a model employment contract for teachers before you apply.
    Your union could do this for you - but don't expect or hope that the Academy would change any of it for you, because it is standard so they won't.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.