1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

adverbs

Discussion in 'English' started by kellyblili, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I am having to do an interview lesson on adverbs to a very weak group of Yr 7s. They know about verbs but that is it. Any ideas on how to make this exciting? - i have the usual worksheets / drag and drop.
    I wanted to make this a little more kinasthetic if possible.
    Thanks

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Kinaesthetic teaching is great for showing children that adverbs are a poor substitute for good strong verbs. Personally, I loathe adverbs when there's something better at hand.

3. I'd definitely have them up and moving around if you can. Have them practising different ways of walking and then finding a word to describe it. If room is a problem, try it with laughter or speaking.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

A suggestion:
    (One set of resources needed for each pair of pupils.)
    Copy 10 sentences with missing adverbs onto individual cards.
    Copy 8 of the missing adverbs onto cards which will fit into the empty space left on the sentence card.
    Have 2 blank cards.
    Pupils in pairs have to place adverbs into the sentences. Once they've established which two sentences do not have a printed adverb they have to think of adverbs of their own to complete the sentences.
    You make this a timed exercise to motivate them to work quickly.
    Compare answers. Does everyone agree with the 8 set sentences and discuss adverbs that were used for the other two.
    You could make the sentence cards quite big so that they are handled easily.

Another suggestion:
    Large sheets of sugar paper - say 6 for a class of 24. On each sheet is written an action.
    Children are allocated to a sheet - so 4 children per sheet in this example. The children will need a board writer or similar pen each to encourage large, clear writing. They keep that pen for the activity.
    Allow a time for them to think of as many adverbs as they can for that action.
    Signal the end of the time and the children have to move round to another sheet.
    Allow set time again. Children must this time add to the previous groups list - so more thought required away from the obvious words to choose.
    Keep moving round as many times as you wish. The final time could be a checking session where the group have to check that all of the words on the sheet are adverbs and cross out any that aren't.
    If each group has a different colour pen you could count up which group has added the most words in total.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.