1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

adventure and mystery linked to tudors or famous people???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Going onto a creative curriculum next year and my 1st literacy unit is adventure and mystery, my topic is famous people with a heavy leaning towards Tudors. Can anyone suggest a suitable text to use with my VERY low ability mixed Y 3 - 4 class?

2. Going onto a creative curriculum next year and my 1st literacy unit is adventure and mystery, my topic is famous people with a heavy leaning towards Tudors. Can anyone suggest a suitable text to use with my VERY low ability mixed Y 3 - 4 class?

3. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

There is a book called 'The Twins of the Black Bear Inn' set in Tudor times about a girl who pretends to be a boy so that she can be an actor. I think, if I remember it correctly, that it would fit very well into the adventure genre. I did it in Yr 4 ( a while ago though!) and the children really enjoyed it.

4. Thanks but it seems to be about twenty quid on both Ebay and amazon. Anyone got any other ideas that are a bit more affordable?

5. Tower of Terror by Terry Deary. Year 4 loved it.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. Where do you live, Merlymoo? I have just started doing Tudor workshops and bring along £800 pounds worth of artefacts. I am recently retired and charge supply teacher rates. I can do a morning only to give your topic a really exciting start. I am only aiming to do 20 days a year so am looking for places in the country I feel like visiting as this pays for travel and b and b. I am free in early September at the moment. PM your email address and i can send you extra details.

8. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

Have a look at Time Flies by Mary Hooper, part of the Tremors series. I used this last year with my Year 4 Class. High EAL and fairly low ability. The character Lucy goes to live with her mother in an old Tudor mansion and hides in a box which transports her back to Tudor times meeting a rich Tudor who had lived in the house. Great for settings and creative writing. At the end of the unit/topic we used the story as a model for our own adventure back to Tudor times. You can see a preview of the book on Amazon. Hope this helps.

9. Looks just what Im after. Is it suitable for adventure and mystery or more for stories with historical settings?

10. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

I link it to historical settings. The children love it!

11. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

Hi Merlymoo
    I don't know where you are in the land , but Yellow Brick Road Workshops do a cross curricular Tudor workshop at £3..50 a child plus expenses.

The workshop includes archery , tudor dancing , object handling, drama, literacy . The Tudor day (£6.50 a child a full day ) includes an afternoon of Tudor writing and drama workshops either for journalistic writing , fiction with a historical setting or adventure and mystery .

Their web site is http://yellowbrickroadworkshops.webeden.co.uk

martian

12. cas64

cas64 New commenter

Im also doing Tudors topic in year 3 and have bought Terrt Deary's -Tudor Tales and also Julia Jarman - The Time Travelling Cat and the Tudor Treasure. Not sure how Im going to use them yet in literacy not starting with narrative writing instead doing poetry then report writing.