1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Adventure/actvity holidays for older people

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Dec 8, 2015.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Just wondered if anyone knows of any? Googling throws up plenty of such holidays, but they aren't geared to those of us aged 50+. I don't mind holidaying with the 20 & 30 somethings, but with the best will in the world I'm not as fit, flexible, fast or as strong as them, and would hold them back. Yet I would enjoy trying stuff such as canyoning, surfing, snowboarding, rock-climbing, etc - as an older beginner. Most active holidays for older people seem to be geared towards walking (which I do) or cycling (makes my bum hurt!). I want something more adventurous!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How about walking in an exciting location. i know someone who did a HF walking holiday in Cuba and found it exciting. I also know someone who did cycling using an electric bike which made a fairly tough route manageable. That was in Canada. I know you specifically said not those activities but it's all i can offer.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do this...

ScotSEN and rouxx like this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I didn't say i had a death wish! I'm enjoying my retirement FAR too much! Perhaps Health & Safety has a point after all!

ScotSEN and lanokia like this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes - that's all the stuff I can find. I do enjoy walking with HF (am off on 23rd December for a Christmas walking holiday), but fancied something different. When I was in NZ a couple of years ago, I went on a group holiday touring both islands, camping and stopping to do a variety of activities en-route (hiking, cycling, white-water rafting, horse-riding, swimming with dolphins, etc). That was great fun, but I was conscious of being older than the rest, and struggling to keep up at times.

Rather surprised there doesn't seem much out there for people like me - I can't be the only one who likes a bit of adrenalin on my hols?

ScotSEN likes this.
  6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Blimey - not just most dangerous airport landing (see other thread) now most dangerous walk - I didn't know my life was so precarious until today (though truth be told, I bottled out of the last part of this walk).

ScotSEN and lanokia like this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Riding around Scottish islands on the back of my motor scooter would be an adventure...it might make you clench your buttocks in fear or excitement lol:)

ScotSEN likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I just googled 'adventure holidays for over 50s' and loads of stuff came up. You can climb Kilimanjaro, if you like.

ScotSEN likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My feet are finding it hard going climbing all the steps of the subways in Berlin let alone
    Kilimanjaro!
    I think I prefer to ride rather than walk

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Going on holiday somewhere new and exotic is enough for this 50+ thanks!

12. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Didn't SAGA used to do holidays for the over 50's, and perhaps still do? Don't know how adventurous they would be tho'….

http://www.saga.co.uk

(Though my father, when still in his 80's told me that it stood for "Sex And Games for the Aged" :) )

ShowerGel likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I googled loads of similar phrases, but when you open the links, most of the holidays are either for all ages (and therefore stuffed with under 40s) or the most active thing offered is walking / cycling - or at the 4 wheel safari / cruise end of the spectrum. I was just hoping there would be something more varied for beginners of 50+

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i think you are being too fussy about who you want to be with you on this holiday. You don't like the idea of being the oldest, least experienced person but I think you should swallow your pride and do it anyway. Then next year - you still might be the oldest but at least you'll be more experienced at the activities. I take my hat off to you aspiring to this, go on - do it.

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

All the specifically 50+ holidays seem to be either cycling or walking rather than the more physically adventurous stuff we thought you craved.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

From what I've heard (from a rep.) that is true.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The Explore holidays I've been on had a mixture of ages. I didn't go for strenuous or dangerous more for unusual places.

Walking the levadas in Madeira is good, steep mountainsides and narrow paths - stunning views. Just book the holiday and organise the walks when you get there.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It's not pride - I don't mind being the oldest - but I don't like feeling I'm holding back the younger, fitter, more flexible folk because I can't keep up or need more teaching or support. In NZ, for example, we did the Tongariro crossing (volcano) walk; I met the under 30s on their way back before I'd reached the three-quarters mark, and then I was an hour late for the bus. Doing the Inca Trail, the porters were sent back to carry my luggage to speed me up.

Oh well, I'll keep looking. I like the idea of a skiing holiday with lessons. They do groups for young children, so why not for older people?