1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advent reading......

Discussion in 'Book club' started by wiemaranerlover, Nov 2, 2011.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I've got a very trashy '12 Days of Christmas' (Trisha Astley) from the library ready for advent. Always read 'Winter Solstice' by Rosamunde Pilcher in the run up to Christmas too. Do have intelligent stuff including the new PD James over the holidays as well!

2. ljr

ljr New commenter

I normally hate reading a book more than once, there are still too many books to read to do that, but somehow Christmas is different, and every year I have to read' How Far to Bethlehem' by Norah Lofts. I absolutely love it, it tells the stories of all the main characters in the Christmas story - its not a religious story, but it is based on the Christmas story, it is wonderful.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I read that one last winter when we were snowed in! Mindless nonsense, but great festive reading!

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Oh, and I always like to re-visit "Little Women" over Christmas!

5. Little Women - Totally agree, reminds me of when I read it as a child when I received it for Christmas.

Can I admit I also like to read 101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith? I think Disney have murdered this wonderful book. Just takes me right back to Christmas time as a child....
    Now where did I put my copy...?

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

So....
    Christmas Mystery (free sample) is on the Kindle...I've read it, still not sure.
    12 Days of Christmas - on Kindle, just bought this morning for a bargain 99p. Might brighten up a dull wintery afternoon when there's nothing on TV.
    How far is it to Bethlehem? (free sample) is now on the Kindle...read and loved it the sample! I think I may just have to shell out the full price and put this on my Advent list!

Little Women - was one of the first books on my Kindle - an all time favourite. But I've never thought of it as a Christmassy book! (Despite the opening chapters!)
    Dodie Smith - 101 Dalmatians and The Starlight Barking are on my Kindle I have also just got the free sample of I Capture The Castle as recommended on the 'first lines' threaad.

(I love the free sampling available on the Kindle!....although I currently have something like 60 samples in my 'to buy' folder...and another100 or so in my 'samples' folder....in addition to all the full titles I still haven't read yet!)

7. Slightly lowering the tone, but I love re-reading the Bridget Jones books - the Christmas cards she writes at the end of the second one make me cry with laughter every time. Not terribly Christmassy really, but the first film is so the connection is made for me.

Bethannie, have you ever seen the second film of Little Women - with Liz Taylor as Amy? That's such a Christmas classic for me, so therefore the book is too.

I wouldn't waste time on India Knight's Christmas book though - Comfort and Joy I think it's called. I received it for Christmas last year but I thought it was dreadful :(

8. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

'The Box of Delights' by John Masefield. Thoroughly old-fashioned English Christmas yarn. You can also get the splendid 3-part kids' BBC TV adaptation from Amazon.
    Splendid.

9. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Not quite advent, but Andre Aciman's Eight white nights is a kind of love story which runs from Christmas Eve to New Year. I read it last year; it's one I would like to read again but I read it at a time when I'd had my heart a bit bruised and don't really want to bring all that angst back.

10. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I remember this being on the telly when I was a kid. I had completely forgotten about it until now. May have to get hold of the book and give it a go.
    I love "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" in the run up to Christmas too but will wait until my decorations are up before I read it.

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'd forgotten The Box of Delights! Definitely one to revisit soon!
    I have been re-reading the whole of the Narnia series in order....currently up to The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bethannie - did you download The Christmas Bus from Amazon when it was free? Might still be.
    Corny, but cute.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

13. When I was a teenager I used to try and get through the whole of the Chronicles of Narnia during December, now I have much less time on my hands and have to limit myself to 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe', otherwise I wouldn't get anything else done during Advent!

14. I love A Christmas Mystery. I always read it during Advent. Little Women is another Advent favourite of mine too [​IMG]

15. The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. Ignore the very poor film adaptation. It's classic good versus evil mythological fantasy for kids (is there are shorter name for that genre?) but has that grown up appeal too. I read it every Christmas Eve!

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Well....'How Far Is It To Bethlehem' is now on my 'permanent'Advent list!...I am really loving it! Thanks for the suggestion! It will join the books I read every year at this time.
    (And I have also downloaded the sample of 'Esther' by the same author....I may just have to treat myself to the full book in the new year!)

17. I bought a copy of The Christmas Mystery after reading this thread and am loving it, thank you for the suggestion. Although I also try to read some Narnia and Little Women at some point around Christmas I am loking forward to trying some of the other suggestions. Before I read this thread I had started "Do nothing, Christmas is coming" by Stephen Cotterell, it is religious but it makes you think about why we do the things we do in the run up to Christmas.

18. ljr

ljr New commenter

Bethannie, I'm so glad you are enjoying How Far Is It to Bethlehem, I always love reading it at this time of year.

19. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I'm re-reading Agatha Christie's 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas'

20. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

I love the entire sequence...
    I'm sure The Grey King was one of my motivations for going to Uni in Wales...